SMI: IndyCar welcome back at Vegas
Speedway Motorsports, Inc. boss Bruton Smith said Friday he would welcome IndyCar back to Las Vegas Motor Speedway, if the series wants to return.
The 1.5-mile SMI track's progressive banking has been one of the main talking points since Dan Wheldon was killed in the opening laps of the Oct. 16 IZOD IndyCar Series season finale at Las Vegas. The race was IndyCar's first visit to the track since 2000, when it featured shallower banking. IndyCar has yet to reveal its 2012 calendar, although Vegas had been provisionally penciled in as the season finale prior to this year's tragedy. IndyCar CEO Randy Bernard has said he will put off decisions regarding a return to Las Vegas until after the investigation into the 15-car accident that killed Wheldon has been completed. But Smith, whose track was rented to IndyCar for the event, says the path remains open from his side.
"We've got a three-year contract, and if they would like to honor it, of course we would," Smith told the Associated Press. "If they wish to come back, we'll have them."