Alexander Sims grabbed the headlines on his return to the GP3 Series on Friday afternoon by immediately topping free practice at the Nurburgring.
The 24-year-old Briton, who last raced in the series in 2011, returned to Status GP in place of Adderly Fong, who is racing in China this weekend. His last open-wheel start was in the Macau GP last year.
Sims topped the session with a late flying lap by 0.14sec ahead of Carlin's Eric Lichtenstein. Dino Zamparelli was third fastest for Manor, from fellow Brits Jack Harvey, Lewis Williamson and Nick Yelloly.
Points leader Tio Ellinas was seventh, ahead of David Fumanelli and Silverstone race two winner Giovanni Venturini.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap Laps
1. Alexander Sims Status 1m45.208s 20
2. Eric Lichtenstein Carlin 1m45.348s +0.140s 19
3. Dino Zamparelli Manor 1m45.531s +0.323s 19
4. Jack Harvey ART 1m45.707s +0.499s 16
5. Lewis Williamson Bamboo 1m45.812s +0.604s 19
6. Nick Yelloly Carlin 1m45.829s +0.621s 17
7. Tio Ellinas Manor 1m45.928s +0.720s 18
8. Luis Sa Silva Carlin 1m46.148s +0.940s 19
9. David Fumanelli Trident 1m46.487s +1.279s 19
10. Giovanni Venturini Trident 1m46.590s +1.382s 20
11. Alex Fontana Jenzer 1m46.596s +1.388s 13
12. Kevin Korjus Koiranen 1m46.635s +1.427s 14
13. Daniil Kvyat MW Arden 1m46.651s +1.443s 18
14. Melville McKee Bamboo 1m46.792s +1.584s 18
15. Samin Gomez Jenzer 1m46.802s +1.594s 19
16. Patric Niederhauser Jenzer 1m46.832s +1.624s 15
17. Jimmy Eriksson Status 1m46.855s +1.647s 19
18. Robert Visoiu MW Arden 1m47.097s +1.889s 18
19. Emanuele Zonzini Trident 1m47.101s +1.893s 19
20. Carlos Sainz Jr MW Arden 1m47.143s +1.935s 17
21. Facu Regalia ART 1m47.148s +1.940s 15
22. Conor Daly ART 1m47.267s +2.059s 17
23. Aaro Vainio Koiranen 1m47.421s +2.213s 16
24. Josh Webster Status 1m47.866s +2.658s 18
25. Patrick Kujala Koiranen 1m47.871s +2.663s 12
26. Ryan Cullen Manor 1m48.456s +3.248s 20
27. Carmen Jorda Bamboo 1m50.188s +4.980s 19