Marco Simoncelli won a late battle with Jorge Lorenzo to complete a clean sweep of Friday practice sessions at the Sachsenring.
Gresini Honda rider and morning pacesetter Simoncelli had been on top for much of the afternoon, before Lorenzo (Yamaha) edged ahead in the closing moments.
But Simoncelli was still out and able to respond with a 1m22.225s to retake the top spot by 0.095sec.
The factory Hondas claimed third to fifth positions, with Dani Pedrosa ahead of Casey Stoner and Andrea Dovizioso.
Nicky Hayden was top Ducati in sixth, as his teammate Valentino Rossi had another troubled session.
After this morning's crash, this time the former champion had to park his primary bike with mechanical problems and run back to the garage for his spare. He ended the session in 12th.
Ben Spies was seventh for Yamaha, followed by Randy de Puniet (Pramac Ducati), Alvaro Bautista (Suzuki) and Karel Abraham (Cardion AB Ducati).
Unlike practice one, this session only saw two crashes, with Tech 3 Yamaha's Cal Crutchlow and Aspar Ducati's Hector Barbera falling without injury.
Sylvain Guintoli brought up the rear as he settled back into MotoGP on the Pramac Ducati. He is standing in for Loris Capirossi for the rest of the weekend after the Italian found he had not recovered sufficiently from the chest and shoulder injuries he sustained at Assen.
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap
1. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda 1m22.225s
2. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m22.320s + 0.095s
3. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m22.432s + 0.207s
4. Casey Stoner Honda 1m22.542s + 0.317s
5. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1m22.654s + 0.429s
6. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m22.882s + 0.657s
7. Ben Spies Yamaha 1m22.894s + 0.669s
8. Randy de Puniet Pramac Ducati 1m23.037s + 0.812s
9. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki 1m23.261s + 1.036s
10. Karel Abraham Cardion Ducati 1m23.352s + 1.127s
11. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 1m23.431s + 1.206s
12. Valentino Rossi Ducati 1m23.533s + 1.308s
13. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati 1m23.625s + 1.400s
14. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 1m23.760s + 1.535s
15. Hiroshi Aoyama Gresini Honda 1m23.906s + 1.681s
16. Toni Elias LCR Honda 1m24.304s + 2.079s
17. Sylvain Guintoli Pramac Ducati 1m25.964s + 3.739s