Marco Simoncelli will commence his 250cc title defense from pole position in the Japanese Grand Prix after rain forced qualifying to be abandoned.
The reigning champion had missed the Qatar season opener due to injuries sustained in a motocross accident, and had been initially been uncertain if he would be fit to race at Motegi.
But he was quickest in practice yesterday, and that session ultimately set the grid when qualifying had to be called off.
Local favourite Hiroshi Aoyama will line up second to Simoncelli, ahead of Alvaro Bautista and Mattia Pasini.
Qatar winner Hector Barbera, whose 2008 season was ended by a massive practice crash at Motegi, will start fifth.
Pos Rider Bike Time Gap
1. Marco Simoncelli Gilera 1m53.093s
2. Hiroshi Aoyama Honda 1m53.695s + 0.602s
3. Alvaro Bautista Aprilia 1m53.836s + 0.743s
4. Mattia Pasini Aprilia 1m53.940s + 0.847s
5. Hector Barbera Aprilia 1m54.497s + 1.404s
6. Raffaele De Rosa Honda 1m54.584s + 1.491s
7. Gabor Talmacsi Aprilia 1m54.594s + 1.501s
8. Mike Di Meglio Aprilia 1m54.595s + 1.502s
9. Roberto Locatelli Gilera 1m54.757s + 1.664s
10. Alex Debon Aprilia 1m55.103s + 2.010s
11. Lukas Pesek Aprilia 1m55.158s + 2.065s
12. R.Wilairot Honda 1m55.208s + 2.115s
13. Thomas Luthi Aprilia 1m55.453s + 2.360s
14. Jules Cluzel Aprilia 1m55.538s + 2.445s
15. Hector Faubel Honda 1m55.588s + 2.495s
16. Karel Abraham Aprilia 1m55.724s + 2.631s
17. Shuhei Aoyama Honda 1m55.929s + 2.836s
18. Alex Baldolini Aprilia 1m56.017s + 2.924s
19. Kazuki Watanabe Yamaha 1m57.274s + 4.181s
20. Imre Toth Aprilia 1m58.727s + 5.634s
21. Axel Pons Aprilia 2m01.044s + 7.951s
22. Vladimir Leonov Aprilia 2m01.447s + 8.354s
23. Bastien Chesaux Honda 2m01.953s + 8.860s
24. Aitor Rodriguez Aprilia 2m03.437s + 10.344s
25. Shoya Tomizawa Honda 2m03.878s + 10.785s