Julian Simon took his second pole position of his career in front of his Barcelona home crown, ahead of tomorrow's 125cc Grand Prix of Catalunya.
The Aspar Aprilia rider shot to the top after nine minutes of the 40-minute session and kept his lead throughout, improving several times to end up with a 1m51.448s lap with five minutes remaining.
That lap time kept him just ahead of fellow Spaniard Pol Espargaro, who missed pole one minute later by just two hundredths of a second with his Derbi.
The last minutes of the session did not bring an exciting fight for pole, with a group of at least five riders going slow while likely waiting for some quick riders to catch a tow from.
But with time already expired, 15-year-old rookie Jonas Folger (ISPA Aprilia) managed to snatch third from Randy Krummenacher (Degraaf Aprilia), who completes the front row, by 0.017s.
Sergio Gadea will lead the second row with his Aspar Aprilia, ahead of teammate Bradley Smith and with Nicolas Terol's Jack&Jones Aprilia between the two.
Andrea Iannone's ISPA Aprilia will occupy the eighth slot of the grid, followed by Stefan Bradl's Kiefer Aprilia and Scott Redding's Blusens Aprilia.
Marc Marquez crashed out in the gravel at Turn 10 early in the session, but despite that his will be the leading KTM starting in 12th spot.
Pos Rider Bike Time Gap
1. Julian Simon Aprilia 1m51.448s
2. Pol Espargaro Derbi 1m51.468s + 0.020s
3. Jonas Folger Aprilia 1m51.787s + 0.339s
4. Randy Krummenacher Aprilia 1m51.804s + 0.356s
5. Sergio Gadea Aprilia 1m51.824s + 0.376s
6. Nicolas Terol Aprilia 1m51.958s + 0.510s
7. Bradley Smith Aprilia 1m52.209s + 0.761s
8. Andrea Iannone Aprilia 1m52.384s + 0.936s
9. Stefan Bradl Aprilia 1m52.432s + 0.984s
10. Scott Redding Aprilia 1m52.536s + 1.088s
11. Daniel Webb Aprilia 1m52.548s + 1.100s
12. Marc Marquez KTM 1m52.616s + 1.168s
13. Johann Zarco Aprilia 1m52.782s + 1.334s
14. Sandro Cortese Derbi 1m52.832s + 1.384s
15. Tomoyoshi Koyama Loncin 1m52.935s + 1.487s
16. Joan Olive Derbi 1m52.943s + 1.495s
17. Esteve Rabat Aprilia 1m53.120s + 1.672s
18. Dominique Aegerter Derbi 1m53.156s + 1.708s
19. Lorenzo Zanetti Aprilia 1m53.265s + 1.817s
20. Efren Vazquez Derbi 1m53.266s + 1.818s
21. Takaaki Nakagami Aprilia 1m53.301s + 1.853s
22. Cameron Beaubier KTM 1m53.382s + 1.934s
23. Simone Corsi Aprilia 1m53.553s + 2.105s
24. Lorenzo Savadori Aprilia 1m53.593s + 2.145s
25. Alberto Moncayo Aprilia 1m54.141s + 2.693s
26. Johnny Rosell Aprilia 1m54.407s + 2.959s
27. Jasper Iwema Honda 1m54.618s + 3.170s
28. Sturla Fagerhaug KTM 1m54.847s + 3.399s
29. Lukas Sembera Aprilia 1m54.858s + 3.410s
30. Alexis Masbou Loncin 1m55.319s + 3.871s
31. Luca Marconi Aprilia 1m55.555s + 4.107s
32. Luis Salom Honda 1m56.117s + 4.669s
33. Luca Vitali Aprilia 1m57.423s + 5.975s
34. Jordi Dalmau Honda 1m58.961s + 7.513s