Silverstone is edging closer a decision to run this year's British Grand Prix on its new "Arena" circuit following positive feedback from early meetings with Formula 1 figures.
The track's managing director Richard Phillips revealed on Tuesday that he was increasingly hopeful that the new layout could be used, but that the final decision now rested with F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone.
"It's yet to be decided," he told AUTOSPORT during a site visit to the track. "We need approval from three sides. So far two have said yes and one [Ecclestone] says maybe, so we'll work on that.
"Allsport [F1's corporate hospitality company] has said yes. And while the FIA needs to homologate the new track, of course, it is happy with the plan in principle."
Phillips said that Silverstone planned to send a progress report to Ecclestone soon, so he could approve the idea of the British GP running on an all-new layout.
"Bernie needs us to send him the plans for the changes and a report of the progress so far before he can agree, but I think it should be all right [for 2010]," he said.
The Northamptonshire-based circuit is currently undergoing a major revamp, with a new infield circuit being constructed and major changes being made to grandstands and spectator facilities. As part of that upgrade, 180,000 tons of earth have been moved, and 8,000 tons of asphalt have already been laid. The grandstands between Woodcote and Copse have been torn down, ready to be rebuilt in a slightly tweaked location.
The Woodcote to Copse grandstands will be moved back to allow Silverstone to widen the current start-finish straight.