Jay Howard can now actively seek another opportunity for the Indianapolis 500, as the Englishman has been released from his contractual commitment from Michael Shank Racing on Wednesday.
The two were working to put a deal together with the new-to-IndyCar MSR Indy squad, but as of Wednesday, had still not signed for an engine lease.
Howard has said throughout the week he'd be open to any of the three engine manufacturers, although Shank said earlier this week his preference would be to have a Chevrolet or Honda lease.
“I know first hand how hard it is to have the opportunity to race in the Indianapolis 500, and the last thing in the world I want to do is hold Jay back from getting the chance to do that,” Shank said.
Shank has not yet withdrawn his entry, but has said this week he's faced an entry deadline to prepare a competitive effort for his debut race.
“This is what I do, and there isn't an ounce of give up in me,” he said. “I've burned up every favor I could think of, called anyone who would be willing to listen, and been trying to work with Randy (Bernard) to just be able to get a motor. But the hole in the back of my DW12 is no closer to being filled than it was when we filed the entry.”