MILLVILLE, N.J. (Sept. 27, 2008) – Shane Williams, of Capetown, South Africa, stood in the top place on the podium at New Jersey Motorsport Park on Saturday, while David Jurca, Federal Way, Wash., claimed first place in championship points due to Williams’ guest driver appearance in the series. Rounding out the top three point finishers were Liam Kenny, of Sterling, Va., and Gary Williams, Jr., of Dana Point, Calif., who will receive point honors for second and third places respectively.
“I started sixth and just focused on working my way up, and once I was in second all my focus was to stay in second and not really worry about Shane because either way if I maintained my position I would get first place points,” said Jurca. “Those first place points are huge in the championship for me. I would like to thank Pignataro VW and Red Bull this weekend for supporting me through the race.”
Heading in to today’s race, Jurca, Kenny and Williams Jr., were placed fifth, seventh and fifteenth respectively in the championship points of this inaugural series.
“I thought the race was great with real clean driving up front, everybody was right on each other but we kept our space,” said Kenny. “I was really excited that the Jetta TDI drove flawlessly today and being patient really paid off because I went from starting 10th and ended up in third.”
“Starting third I had a good shot to win it today and it was a real close race, with a lot of hard fought battling,” said Williams Jr. “I dropped one wheel and Liam got past me and in this type of series that is all it takes. One mistake and it put me a position back.”
The race was run on a dry 2.25-mile track, and saw a yellow flag only once despite a number of cars experiencing contact while racing. The drivers will now begin preparations for tomorrow’s race scheduled to take place at 8:30 a.m.
Complete Jetta TDI Cup provisional race results are listed below with finishing position, starting position in parentheses, driver, hometown, car sponsor and laps completed.
1. (1), Shane Williams, Capetown S Africa, ful®, 19
2. (6), David Jurca, Federal Way, Wash., Red Bull, 19, -.001
3. (10), Liam Kenney, Sterling, Va., ViON, 19, -1.342
4. (3), Gary Williams_Jr., Dana Point, Calif., Bondurant, 19, -3.884
5. (11), Michael DeNino, Gaithersburg, Md., Castrol, 19, -4.230
6. (2), Mark Pombo, Duluth, Ga., ful®, 19, -6.883
7. (9), Josh Hurley(R), Cooper City, Fla., Athlete’s Performance, 19, -7.897
8. (5), Chris Castagna, Boston, Mass., Oakley, 19, -8.794
9. (8), Chris Holman, Burlington, Ontario, UTI, 19, -9.584
10. (16), Jimmy Underhill, Denver, Colo., Bosch, 19, -10.762
11. (15), Juan Pablo SierraLendle, Puebla, MX, Aggreko, 19, -10.861
12. (13), Taylor Broekemeier(R), Fort Collins, Colo., Oakley, 19, -11.296
13. (14), Andy Lee, Colorado Springs, Colo., Kyosho, 19, -11.696
14. (20), Andrew Cordeiro(R), Woodbridge Ont, Canada, $1300 Tax Credit, 19, -17.406
15. (25), Jake Dallenbach, San Antonio, Texas, Select 1, 19, -20.546
16. (18), Evan Pflock(R), Redondo Beach, Calif., DC United, 19, -20.786
17. (23), Wyatt Dallenbach, San Antonio, Texas, SCORE, 19, -21.184
18. (12), Chris Kuenning(R), Grand Rapids, Mich., Aggreko, 19, -21.458
19. (19), Timmy Megenbier, Melrose Park, Ill., SCCA, 19, -21.640
20. (24), Adam Kretschmer(R), Brampton, Ontario, VW Credit, 19, -22.661
21. (17), Adam Love(R), Normal, Ill., SCORE, 19, -23.130
22. (31), Noah Arundel, Tonka Bay, Minn., VW P&A, 19, -23.657
23. (30), Adam Crepin(R), St. Louis, Mo., SCCA, 19, -24.176
24. (26), David Richert(R), Niverville MB, Canada, ViON, 19, -24.565
25. (27), Chad Brassfield(R), Phoenix, Ariz., Kyosho, 19, -25.104
26. (21), Derek Jones, Philadelphia, Pa., Bosch, -26.433
27. (29), Ryan Buetzer, Long Beach, Calif., Hoopla, 19, -28.153
28. (28), David Heinz(R), Pittsburgh, Pa., Pre Loved, 19, -31.473
29. (4), Caleb Kenney, Berkeley, Calif., Hoopla, 17, DNF
30. (7), Nick Mancuso, Mettawa, Ill., Auto Logistics, 10, DNF
31. (22), John Shim(R), Starkville, Miss., VW Credit, 0, DNS
The Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup series is an innovative approach to motorsports – 30 factory-prepared and managed 2009 clean-diesel Jetta TDIs will be piloted by talented, up-and-coming drivers, aged 16 to 26. Volkswagen’s goal is to find the driver with the most talent and help them break into the world of professional motorsports. The Jetta TDI Cup series, the first all clean-diesel race series, is sanctioned by SCCA Pro Racing Inc. Sponsors for the race include: Aggreko, Athlete’s Performance, Bondurant, Bosch, ful®, Holder, Hoopla, Ironclad, Kyosho, Oakley, RedBull, UTI and ViON.
Volkswagen of America, Inc.
Volkswagen of America, Inc. recently announced Electronic Stability Program (ESP) as standard equipment on all its 2009 vehicles. As a result, Volkswagen is one of the only original equipment manufacturers to offer an electronic stability control system on their entire product line – ahead of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) deadline requiring vehicles in the 2012 model year to include stability control systems. Volkswagen’s ESP technology works in conjunction with anti-lock brakes and helps reduce loss of control and rollovers to avoid crashes. NHTSA predicts nearly 10,000 lives could be saved each year if automakers included stability systems as standard equipment.
Founded in 1955, Volkswagen of America, Inc. is headquartered in Herndon, Va. It is a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, headquartered in Wolfsburg, Germany. Volkswagen is one of the world's largest producers of passenger cars and Europe's largest automaker. Volkswagen sells the Rabbit, New Beetle, New Beetle convertible, GTI, Jetta, Jetta SportWagen, GLI, Passat, Passat Wagon, Eos, Tiguan and Touareg through approximately 600 independent U.S. dealers. Visit Volkswagen of America online at vw.com.
SCCA Pro Racing
A wholly owned subsidiary of Sports Car Club of America, Inc., SCCA Pro Racing Ltd. is a leading sanctioning body for motor sports events in the United States. A member of the Automobile Competition Committee of the United States (ACCUS), SCCA Pro Racing operates and sanctions the SCCA SPEED World Challenge Championships, the SCCA Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup and the Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup, as well as provides sanctioning and various operational services for other racing series. For more information, please visit www.sccapro.com.