Bruno Senna says that he is prepared to wait until 2010 for a Formula 1 opportunity, even if a position were to fall vacant during the 2009 season.
Senna, the nephew of three-time F1 champion Ayrton, had been widely tipped to enter the sport in 2009 with Honda. Following the Japanese manufacturer’s withdrawal from F1 and the team’s re-emergence as Brawn GP, team principal Ross Brawn elected to retain the more experienced Rubens Barrichello.
Speaking about the possibility of securing an F1 drive this year if a seat were to fall vacant, Senna told AUTOSPORT: “It would have to be a really good opportunity because F1 is extremely competitive and there is no testing. So it is a question of analyzing the risk. If the team had a great simulator then maybe, but if getting in the car on a Friday was my first experience then I think it’s a bad idea.”
Asked to clarify that he would prefer to wait until 2010 for an F1 drive, he said: “The preference is that, yes.”• Full Q&A with Bruno Senna