Second practice for the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa was a near-total washout, with not a single competitive laptime set.
With track conditions even worse than the morning session but a more promising forecast for the rest of the weekend, few saw any point in risking damage by running on the saturated track on Friday afternoon. It was 48 minutes into the session before a car took to the track at all, with Nico Rosberg first to brave the puddles.
His Mercedes teammate Michael Schumacher would also venture out, as did Heikki Kovalainen, the McLaren, Saubers, Williams, Marussias, Ferraris, Toro Rossos and Force Indias. Many only came out at the very end so they could do a practice start, logging some nominal times – including stopping on the grid – as a result. Nico Hulkenberg had the most running, but still completed a mere five laps.
Ferrari did attempt to get some work done, with Massa setting off with flo-vis paint on his rear wing, although it soon appeared to wash off. The Brazilian had an engine change between sessions following his morning failure.
No one was willing to push hard, but even so Kovalainen had a spin on the way out of Les Combes and Hamilton slid over the run-off at the same point, demonstrating how slippery conditions were.
Pos Driver Car Time Gap Laps
1. Charles Pic Marussia-Cosworth 2m49.354s 4
2. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari 2m49.750s + 0.396s 3
3. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 2m50.497s + 1.143s 3
4. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 2m51.333s + 1.979s 3
5. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault 2m51.660s + 2.306s 4
6. Timo Glock Marussia-Cosworth 2m52.076s + 2.722s 4
7. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 2m53.232s + 3.878s 4
8. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari 2m58.232s + 8.878s 3
9. Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes 2m59.125s + 9.771s 5
10. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 3m12.901s + 23.547s 4
11. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 3
12. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 4
13. Heikki Kovalainen Caterham-Renault 1
14. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 2
15. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 3
16. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 2
17. Felipe Massa Ferrari 2
18. Bruno Senna Williams-Renault 3
All timing unofficial