Timo Scheider headed an Audi lockout of the top four places in the first DTM practice session of the weekend at Oschersleben.
The reigning champion, who has won at the German track for the past two years, led the way ahead of his fellow 2009-spec Audi team-mates Mattias Ekstrom and Oliver Jarvis.
Series rookie Miguel Molina was next up in his 2008-spec Audi, which is also run by the Abt Sportsline team. However, the Spaniard was 0.4sec adrift of the pace in what is usually a very tightly bunched field.
Things were closer between the cars in the bottom half of the top 10. Brands Hatch winner Paul di Resta was fifth for Mercedes, while the four cars behind him were all within four hundredths of a second of his lap.
Almost all of the drivers set their best times in the first hour of the 90-minute session, before temperatures began to tumble. There was little to choose between di Resta and his title rivals (and teammates) Bruno Spengler and Gary Paffett during that time. However, the trio was broken up in the time sheets by Audi's Mike Rockenfeller, who improved late in the session to edge Paffett back to eighth place.
Maro Engel was the top driver of a 2008-spec Mercedes in ninth, while Markus Winkelhock completed the top 10.
Pos Driver Car Time Gap
1. Timo Scheider Audi 1m23.071s
2. Mattias Ekstrom Audi 1m23.229s + 0.158s
3. Oliver Jarvis Audi 1m23.359s + 0.288s
4. Miguel Molina Audi 1m23.511s + 0.440s
5. Paul di Resta Mercedes 1m23.731s + 0.660s
6. Bruno Spengler Mercedes 1m23.758s + 0.687s
7. Mike Rockenfeller Audi 1m23.766s + 0.695s
8. Gary Paffett Mercedes 1m23.770s + 0.699s
9. Maro Engel Mercedes 1m23.770s + 0.699s
10. Markus Winkelhock Audi 1m23.876s + 0.805s
11. Ralf Schumacher Mercedes 1m24.003s + 0.932s
12. Martin Tomczyk Audi 1m24.004s + 0.933s
13. Alexandre Premat Audi 1m24.039s + 0.968s
14. Jamie Green Mercedes 1m24.241s + 1.170s
15. David Coulthard Mercedes 1m24.346s + 1.275s
16. Susie Stoddart Mercedes 1m24.665s + 1.594s
17. Katherine Legge Audi 1m25.551s + 2.480s
18. Cong Fu Cheng Mercedes 1m25.788s + 2.717s