Takuma Sato led the rain-shortened second practice at Barber Motorsports Park, where 18 of 26 cars took to the track for largely unrepresentative times.
Sato, who was third in the dry morning session, ran 1:18.8684 as a fastest lap, some seven seconds off Will Power's fastest lap earlier in the day.
But for Sato's Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing Honda, a Lotus would have led a practice session for the first time. Sebastien Bourdais was second for Dragon Racing (ABOVE, LEFT), albeit four-tenths of a second back, and Scott Dixon was third at half a second behind. Those two were the only ones within one second of Sato's time.
Four Chevrolets – Tony Kanaan, Marco Andretti, Rubens Barrichello and Ryan Hunter-Reay were next.
Eight drivers, including all three Team Penske pilots, plus Simon Pagenaud, Mike Conway, Ed Carpenter, JR Hildebrand and the temporarily engine-related sidelined Justin Wilson didn't venture on track.
A fuel line leak led to a fire on Wilson's car and may require an engine change.
Oriol Servia of Lotus DRR will have an engine change, and a corresponding 10-spot grid penalty, after engine issues discovered in this practice. Servia only ran seven laps in the morning due to an electrical problem, and was limited to two in the afternoon.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Takuma Sato Rahal DW12-Honda 1m18.8684s
2. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon DW12-Lotus 1m19.2740s + 0.4056s
3. Scott Dixon Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m19.3841s + 0.5157s
4. Tony Kanaan KV DW12-Chevrolet 1m19.8840s + 1.0156s
5. Marco Andretti Andretti DW12-Chevrolet 1m20.0403s + 1.1719s
6. Rubens Barrichello KV DW12-Chevrolet 1m20.1488s + 1.2804s
7. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti DW12-Chevrolet 1m20.2639s + 1.3955s
8. Graham Rahal Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m21.4337s + 2.5653s
9. EJ Viso KV DW12-Chevrolet 1m21.5038s + 2.6354s
10. Simona de Silvestro HVM DW12-Lotus 1m21.5188s + 2.6504s
11. Dario Franchitti Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m21.6733s + 2.8049s
12. James Hinchcliffe Andretti DW12-Chevrolet 1m21.7132s + 2.8448s
13. Charlie Kimball Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m22.2339s + 3.3655s
14. Katherine Legge Dragon DW12-Lotus 1m22.9852s + 4.1168s
15. Josef Newgarden Fisher DW12-Honda 1m23.5229s + 4.6545s
16. James Jakes Coyne DW12-Honda 1m24.3674s + 5.4990s
17. Oriol Servia Dreyer & Reinbold DW12-Lotus 1m24.5312s + 5.6628s
18. Alex Tagliani BHA DW12-Lotus no time
19. Will Power Penske DW12-Chevrolet no time
20. Helio Castroneves Penske DW12-Chevrolet no time
21. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt DW12-Honda no time
22. JR Hildebrand Panther DW12-Chevrolet no time
23. Mike Conway Foyt DW12-Honda no time
24. Ryan Briscoe Penske DW12-Chevrolet no time
25. Justin Wilson Coyne DW12-Honda no time
26. Ed Carpenter Carpenter DW12-Chevrolet no time