Guy Wilks finished on the podium at the Monte Carlo Rally sthanks to Peugeot's decision to drop Stephane Sarrazin to fourth to help Wilks' Intercontinental Rally Challenge title aspirations.
Wilks will contest the whole IRC season with the Peugeot UK team, while Sarrazin's Monte Carlo Rally outing was a one-off. Sarrazin checked into the final control three minutes late to allow Wilks through.
"It's a team decision," Sarrazin said. "I do as I am told. It's tough, but I understand this is the sport sometimes. This helps Guy to be in a better points position for the championship.
"The main thing is that Peugeot won this event and we had a very strong final day – without the gearbox problem we could have been fastest on every stage."
Pos Driver Car Time/Gap
1. Bryan Bouffier Peugeot 3h32m55.7s
2. Freddy Loix Skoda + 32.5s
3. Guy Wilks Peugeot + 1m19.7s
4. Stephane Sarrazin Peugeot + 1m21.9s
5. Francois Delecour Peugeot + 1m22.4s
6. Juho Hanninen Skoda + 1m29.3s
7. Nicolas Vouilloz Skoda + 4m47.8s
8. Jan Kopecky Skoda + 7m45.9s
9. Giandomenico Basso Peugeot + 8m46.0s
10. Toni Gardemeister Peugeot + 9m09.0s