Carlos Sainz set the pace as the 2013 Dakar Rally got underway with a short eight-mile stage in Pisco.
The field traveled the 155 miles from the rally start in Lima before tackling the stage. Driving a Red Bull Buggy, 2010 winner Sainz set a time of 7m40s, beating Argentina's Lucio Alvarez by eight seconds.
Guerlain Chicherit and Sainz's teammate Nasser Al-Attiyah hold a joint third place, just ahead of French driver Ronan Chabot.
Dakar legend and last year's winner Stephane Peterhansel set the same time as X-Raid Mini teammates Krzysztof Holowczyc and Leonid Novitskiy in sixth.
Robby Gordon's pursuit of an elusive first Dakar win got off to a depressing start when his Hummer stopped on the stage for 10 minutes before making it to the finish.
Leading positions after stage one:
Pos Driver Team/Car Time/Gap
1. Carlos Sainz Red Bull Buggy 7m40s
2. Lucio Alvarez Overdrive Toyota + 8s
3. Guerlain Chicherit SMG Buggy + 10s
4. Nasser Al-Attiyah Red Bull Buggy + 10s
5. Ronan Chabot SMG Buggy + 12s
6. Krzysztof Holowczyc X-Raid Mini + 34s
7. Leonid Noviktskiy X-Raid Mini + 34s
8. Stephane Peterhansel X-Raid Mini + 34s
9. Giniel de Villiers Imperial Toyota + 35s
10. Nani Roma X-Raid Mini + 37s