Sebastian Saavedra will get another start in the IZOD IndyCar Series next weekend at Auto Club Speedway. The Colombian will make his third appearance of the year in the jointly entered AFS Racing/Andretti Autosport No. 17 Chevrolet, having previously competed at the Indianapolis 500 in May and on the road course at Sonoma last month.
Saavedra was eliminated from contending for the Firestone Indy Lights championship with a 10th place finish last race in Baltimore, following contact with Gustavo Yacaman as Yacaman exited Turn 1.
He'll now embark on his second doubleheader weekend of the year, having also done so at Indianapolis in racing both Indy Lights and IndyCar for a total of 600 miles.
A translated tweet he posted late Tuesday reads, “Well folks .. is a fact, for going to all 600 miles of Fontana! Lights 100 to 500 in @IndyCar #SiSePuede”
Andretti Autosport principal Michael Andretti expanded on adding a fourth car for this race in a teleconference Wednesday.
"He'll be fine. He's driven night races before," Andretti said. "I don't think he will have any problems.The good thing is he'll have three teammates to help him, as well, that's a big deal so he'll be okay. In fact, there's been times where it's helped us. Even at Sonoma there were a few things that Sebastian found in practice that actually helped the other guys. Having more cars out there helps and we have great people and his team ‑ it's not taking away from the other three teams."
Saavedra appears committed to a long-term relationship with AFS/Andretti, having competed with the team in 2009 and looking toward perhaps resuming full-time in IndyCar in 2013.
“In the beginning it was scary, it was a tough decision to make, to move back down,” Saavedra told RACER.com in Baltimore. “But to be honest it's been the best decision I've made in my life. Together with Gary Peterson, we're building a long-term relationship. It's been an amazing opportunity, having the chance to do the Indy 500 and Sonoma, it's opened doors.”