Sebastian Saavedra scored the pole position for the Firestone Indy Lights season finale at Auto Club Speedway. Saavedra, who's racing in both IndyCar and Indy Lights this weekend, clocked in at the 2.0-mile track at a two-lap average speed of 189.640. AFS/Andretti Autosport teammate Carlos Munoz completed the front row, having also been on the front row at Canadian races Edmonton and Trois-Rivieres.
“This is the way we wanted to start the day! I got huge help from my teammate, and that's what teammates are for,” said Saavedra, who edged Munoz at the end of the session. “We have good qualifying and race pace.”
“A little sad as I was fast and my teammate pipped me for the pole position,” said Munoz. “Hopefully we work together for a nice race.”
Three of the next four are from Sam Schmidt Motorsports, including both title contenders Esteban Guerrieri (third) and Tristan Vautier (fifth). Jorge Goncalvez records his best start of the season in fourth for Belardi Auto Racing. Vautier leads Guerrieri by 11 points going into Saturday's race.
Stefan Wilson clocked in 11th in his first start of the year for Fan Force United, ahead of series debutante Bruno Palli (Juncos Racing) and Mike Larrison, back for the first time since Iowa in a third Belardi car. Peter Dempsey didn't qualify as his team (Belardi) changed engines.
Pos Driver Team Speed
1. Sebastian Saavedra AFS/Andretti 189.640
2. Carlos Munoz Andretti 188.984
3. Esteban Guerrieri Schmidt 188.625
4. Jorge Goncalvez Belardi 188.043
5. Tristan Vautier Schmidt 187.445
6. Oliver Webb Schmidt 187.413
7. Juan Pablo García Jeffrey Mark 187.280
8. David Ostella Moore 187.235
9. Gustavo Yacaman Moore 187.165
10. Victor Carbone Schmidt 186.810
11. Stefan Wilson Fan Force 185.364
12. Bruno Palli Juncos 184.692
13. Mike Larrison Belardi 179.337
14. Peter Dempsey Belardi