Valentino Rossi was quickest in the morning warm-up ahead of the Malaysian Grand Prix - the race that is set to see him hand his world championship crown to his Yamaha team-mate Jorge Lorenzo.
Ducati's Casey Stoner had been on top for the majority of the session, before Rossi edged ahead with a late 2m02.269s lap, 0.090 seconds faster than the Australian.
Lorenzo only needs ninth place to become champion today and is expected to ride a cautious race. He was third in the warm-up.
Tech 3 Yamaha's Colin Edwards took fourth, followed by Honda's Andrea Dovizioso and Ducati's second rider Nicky Hayden - who took a shock second place on the grid despite being off the pace in practice, but hinted at respectable race pace this morning.
Ben Spies (Tech 3), Marco Simoncelli (Gresini Honda), Hiroshi Aoyama (Interwetten Honda) and Aleix Espargaro (Pramac Ducati) completed the top 10.
Pos Rider Team Time Gap
1. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 2m02.269s
2. Casey Stoner Ducati 2m02.359s + 0.090s
3. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 2m02.472s + 0.203s
4. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 2m02.642s + 0.373s
5. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 2m02.730s + 0.461s
6. Nicky Hayden Ducati 2m02.770s + 0.501s
7. Ben Spies Tech 3 Yamaha 2m03.141s + 0.872s
8. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda 2m03.178s + 0.909s
9. Hiroshi Aoyama Interwetten Honda 2m03.230s + 0.961s
10. Aleix Espargaro Pramac Ducati 2m03.283s + 1.014s
11. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki 2m03.285s + 1.016s
12. Randy de Puniet LCR Honda 2m03.462s + 1.193s
13. Marco Melandri Gresini Honda 2m03.639s + 1.370s
14. Loris Capirossi Suzuki 2m03.812s + 1.543s
15. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati 2m03.820s + 1.551s
16. Mika Kallio Pramac Ducati 2m03.858s + 1.589s