Valentino Rossi topped a MotoGP test session for the first time since returning to Yamaha at Jerez on Sunday.
After another very wet morning, rain relented enough for a few hours of dry running on day two of the final winter test.
Rossi took advantage of that break in the weather to set a 1m39.525s and move to the front before the rain returned. His teammate Jorge Lorenzo closed to within 0.015 seconds but could not depose the Italian.
It ended up being a very tight all-Yamaha top three, as Tech 3's Cal Crutchlow moved up to third, 0.049sec off Rossi.
Top Honda was Dani Pedrosa in fourth, a tenth off the pace. His teammate Marc Marquez was three places further back.
Ducati produced its best performance of the winter as Andrea Dovizioso went fifth quickest, only eight tenths down on the leader.
Alvaro Bautista was sixth fastest for Gresini Honda despite missing the final hours following a violent crash with left him with two minor fractures to his fingers.
Stefan Bradl, Andrea Iannone and Nicky Hayden completed the top 10, just ahead of CRT pacesetter Hector Barbera.
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap Laps
1. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m39.525s 46
2. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m39.540s + 0.015s 34
3. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 1m39.574s + 0.049s 44
4. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m39.630s + 0.105s 31
5. Andrea Dovizioso Ducati 1m40.322s + 0.797s 30
6. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda 1m40.686s + 1.161s 35
7. Marc Marquez Honda 1m40.714s + 1.189s 36
8. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 1m40.783s + 1.258s 32
9. Andrea Iannone Pramac Ducati 1m41.088s + 1.563s 15
10. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m41.325s + 1.800s 35
11. Hector Barbera Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m41.376s + 1.851s 25
12. Bradley Smith Tech 3 Yamaha 1m41.398s + 1.873s 41
13. Aleix Espargaro Aspar Aprilia 1m41.444s + 1.919s 48
14. Danilo Petrucci Ioda Suter-BMW 1m41.529s + 2.004s 32
15. Michele Pirro Ducati 1m41.603s + 2.078s 32
16. Randy de Puniet Aspar Aprilia 1m41.686s + 2.161s 34
17. Claudio Corti Forward FTR-Kawasaki 1m41.701s + 2.176s 26
18. Ben Spies Pramac Ducati 1m41.702s + 2.177s 29
19. Karel Abraham Cardion Aprilia 1m41.916s + 2.391s 35
20. Yonny Hernandez PBM Aprilia 1m42.050s + 2.525s 32
21. Bryan Staring Gresini FTR-Honda 1m42.107s + 2.582s 39
22. Colin Edwards Forward FTR-Kawasaki 1m42.154s + 2.629s 33
23. Hiroshi Aoyama Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m43.959s + 4.434s 25
24. Michael Laverty PBM-Aprilia 1m44.185s + 4.660s 21
25. Lukas Pesek Ioda Suter-BMW 1m44.874s + 5.349s 33