Valentino Rossi led a Yamaha one-two in the warm-up ahead of this afternoon's Spanish Grand Prix.
The world champion had been sceptical about his chances of battling for victory today after only qualifying fourth yesterday, but he set a 1m39.778s lap at the end of the warm-up to beat his team-mate Jorge Lorenzo by 0.039 seconds.
Honda's Dani Pedrosa, who has qualified second behind Lorenzo, was third quickest, ahead of Ducati's Casey Stoner.
Loris Capirossi completed the top five on his Suzuki, with Toni Elias showing better form than previously in the weekend to take sixth for Gresini Honda.
Pos Rider Bike Time Gap
1. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m39.778s
2. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m39.817s + 0.039s
3. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m39.946s + 0.168s
4. Casey Stoner Ducati 1m40.196s + 0.418s
5. Loris Capirossi Suzuki 1m40.200s + 0.422s
6. Toni Elias Gresini Honda 1m40.331s + 0.553s
7. Randy de Puniet LCR Honda 1m40.368s + 0.590s
8. Chris Vermeulen Suzuki 1m40.496s + 0.718s
9. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1m40.537s + 0.759s
10. Sete Gibernau Hernando Ducati 1m40.590s + 0.812s
11. Marco Melandri Hayate Kawasaki 1m40.598s + 0.820s
12. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 1m40.691s + 0.913s
13. Yuki Takahashi Scot Honda 1m41.059s + 1.281s
14. James Toseland Tech 3 Yamaha 1m41.166s + 1.388s
15. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m41.166s + 1.388s
16. Alex de Angelis Gresini Honda 1m41.204s + 1.426s
17. Niccolo Canepa Pramac Ducati 1m41.373s + 1.595s
18. Mika Kallio Pramac Ducati 1m41.481s + 1.703s