Marcus Ericsson has been stripped of his Abu Dhabi GP2 pole position after stewards ruled that he exceeded track limits on his best qualifying lap. The decision to penalize the DAMS driver promotes Caterham's Alexander Rossi to his first pole position in the category. It also moves title contender Sam Bird to a front row starting position as he bids to overhaul Fabio Leimer's seven-point series lead.
Leimer will now start fourth, behind Jolyon Palmer, with Tom Dillmann and Johnny Cecotto Jr. rounding out the new top six.
Ericsson falls to 12th place with his second-best time. His drop moves outside title contender Felipe Nasr up to eighth.
Stefano Coletti, the other man still in the championship fight, was only 18th quickest. James Calado was ruled out of contention when he was given a five-place grid penalty for an incident with Dillmann in practice. That meant he could not get the pole bonus points required to keep his title bid alive. Calado was only 14th in qualifying in any case.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Alexander Rossi Caterham 1m48.931s
2. Sam Bird Russian Time 1m49.241s +0.310s
3. Jolyon Palmer Carlin 1m49.376s +0.445s
4. Fabio Leimer Racing Engineering 1m49.485s +0.554s
5. Tom Dillmann Russian Time 1m49.672s +0.741s
6. Johnny Cecotto Jr Arden 1m49.680s +0.749s
7. Jon Lancaster Hilmer 1m49.827s +0.896s
8. Felipe Nasr Carlin 1m49.829s +0.898s
9. Stephane Richelmi DAMS 1m49.835s +0.904s
10. Dani Clos MP 1m49.846s +0.915s
11. Mitch Evans Arden 1m49.864s +0.933s
12. Marcus Ericsson DAMS 1m49.910s +0.979s
13. Sergio Canamasas Caterham 1m49.951s +1.020s
14. James Calado* ART 1m50.002s +1.071s
15. Rio Haryanto Addax 1m50.334s +1.403s
16. Nathanael Berthon Trident 1m50.446s +1.515s
17. Adrian Quaife-Hobbs Hilmer 1m50.510s +1.579s
18. Stefano Coletti Rapax 1m50.534s +1.603s
19. Julian Leal Racing Engineering 1m50.553s +1.622s
20. Simon Trummer Rapax 1m50.634s +1.703s
21. Jake Rosenzweig Addax 1m50.809s +1.878s
22. Rene Binder Lazarus 1m50.884s +1.953s
23. Daniel de Jong MP 1m50.906s +1.975s
24. Daniel Abt ART 1m50.907s +1.976s
25. Vittorio Ghirelli Lazarus 1m51.493s +2.562s
26. Gianmarco Raimondo Trident 1m52.311s +3.380s
*Will drop to 19th with grid penalty.