Roldan Rodriguez opened this weekend's GP2 Series round at Monza by setting the fastest time in free practice; the Spaniard's best lap of 1m30.607s putting him just over a tenth clear of nearest rival Lucas di Grassi.
The Piquet GP driver led virtually the entire session, with Racing Engineering's di Grassi looking equally secure as best of the rest.
Javier Villa was third fastest for Super Nova, edging out points leader Nico Hulkenberg by just 0.02sec, with Vitaly Petrov a further 0.2sec behind in fifth.
It was a relatively low-key Friday morning, with Spa winner Alvaro Parente and ART's Pastor Maldonado providing the only drama by throwing themselves off the circuit at the Parabolica. But while Maldonado at least waited until the end of the session to do it, Parente's mis-step leaves the Portuguese driver facing the prospect of qualifying with just four laps under his belt.
Series debutant Johnny Cecotto Jr made a modest start for DPR, finishing the session in 21st, although the field has been thinned out by Durango's forced withdrawal from the round.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Roldan Rodriguez Piquet 1m30.607s
2. Lucas di Grassi Racing Engineering 1m30.733s + 0.126s
3. Javier Villa Super Nova 1m30.972s + 0.365s
4. Nico Hulkenberg ART 1m31.002s + 0.395s
5. Vitaly Petrov Addax 1m31.171s + 0.564s
6. Diego Nunes iSport 1m31.329s + 0.722s
7. Giedo van der Garde iSport 1m31.417s + 0.810s
8. Pastor Maldonado ART 1m31.457s + 0.850s
9. Edoardo Mortara Arden 1m31.490s + 0.883s
10. Luca Filippi Super Nova 1m31.589s + 0.982s
11. Alberto Valerio Piquet 1m31.624s + 1.017s
12. Andreas Zuber Coloni 1m31.684s + 1.077s
13. Michael Herck DPR 1m31.831s + 1.224s
14. Kamui Kobayashi DAMS 1m31.887s + 1.280s
15. Sergio Perez Arden 1m31.891s + 1.284s
16. Dani Clos Racing Engineering 1m31.931s + 1.324s
17. Davide Rigon Trident 1m31.957s + 1.350s
18. Karun Chandhok Ocean 1m31.979s + 1.372s
19. Luiz Razia Coloni 1m32.812s + 2.205s
20. Davide Valsecchi Addax 1m32.949s + 2.342s
21. Johnny Cecotto Jr DPR 1m32.985s + 2.378s
22. Ricardo Teixeira Trident 1m33.042s + 2.435s
23. Jerome D'Ambrosio DAMS 1m36.761s + 6.154s
24. Alvaro Parente Ocean 1m38.704s + 8.097s