Audi driver Mike Rockenfeller topped the first DTM practice session of the year on Saturday morning with a last-ditch effort at a very wet Hockenheim.
Rockenfeller, who is once again driving a Phoenix Racing RS5 this season, hit the front with 25 minutes to go in a time of 1m50.980s. But he was then knocked back to third spot within the final two minutes by both Audi stablemate Mattias Ekstrom and the RBM BMW of Augusto Farfus.
Rockenfeller responded with a final-lap time of 1m50.334s to reclaim the top spot, 0.153sec ahead of Ekstrom's Abt Sportsline-run RS5 and 0.208s clear of Farfus.
Another Abt driver, Timo Scheider, held the top spot for much of the opening half-hour and wound up fourth. Martin Tomczyk's RMG BMW and Jamie Green's Abt car completed the top six.
Mercedes' fastest driver was Christian Vietoris in seventh, one spot ahead of his HWA teammate Gary Paffett.
Robert Wickens, who has moved up to HWA this year, spun at the Mercedes Arena with 25 minutes left while Edoardo Mortara gyrated at Turn 2 in the final seconds of the session.
DTM rookie Timo Glock was 13th in his first official DTM session, only one place behind champion Bruno Spengler. Glock's MTEK teammate Marco Wittmann was 18th and saw his session end early when he stopped with a mechanical problem at the Mercedes Arena with 10 minutes left.
The best of the rookies was RSC Mucke's Pascal Wehrlein, whose Mercedes was ninth – 10 places ahead of his teammate Daniel Juncadella.
Pos Driver Car Time Gap Laps
1. Mike Rockenfeller Phoenix Audi 1m50.334s 34
2. Mattias Ekstrom Abt Audi 1m50.487s + 0.153s 35
3. Augusto Farfus RBM BMW 1m50.542s + 0.208s 33
4. Timo Scheider Abt Audi 1m50.887s + 0.553s 37
5. Martin Tomczyk RMG BMW 1m51.018s + 0.684s 27
6. Jamie Green Abt Audi 1m51.055s + 0.721s 30
7. Christian Vietoris HWA Mercedes 1m51.157s + 0.823s 33
8. Gary Paffett HWA Mercedes 1m51.281s + 0.947s 32
9. Pascal Wehrlein RSC Mucke Mercedes 1m51.293s + 0.959s 31
10. Roberto Merhi HWA Mercedes 1m51.446s + 1.112s 34
11. Joey Hand RBM BMW 1m51.577s + 1.243s 30
12. Bruno Spengler Schnitzer BMW 1m51.596s + 1.262s 33
13. Timo Glock MTEK BMW 1m51.626s + 1.292s 23
14. Miguel Molina Phoenix Audi 1m51.634s + 1.300s 32
15. Andy Priaulx RMG BMW 1m51.707s + 1.373s 31
16. Filipe Albuquerque Rosberg Audi 1m51.775s + 1.441s 32
17. Edoardo Mortara Rosberg Audi 1m51.871s + 1.537s 27
18. Marco Wittmann MTEK BMW 1m51.875s + 1.541s 21
19. Daniel Juncadella RSC Mucke Mercedes 1m51.886s + 1.552s 28
20. Adrien Tambay Abt Audi 1m52.214s + 1.880s 35
21. Robert Wickens HWA Mercedes 1m52.223s + 1.889s 33
22. Dirk Werner Schnitzer BMW 1m52.613s + 2.279s 34