Stephane Richelmi will start the feature race for the sixth round of the GP2 Series from pole position at the Nurburgring on Saturday.
Richelmi grabbed the top spot in Friday's qualifying session from DAMS teammate Marcus Ericsson by 0.276sec on his second run on new tires to score his first career GP2 pole. Ericsson, who has started from pole twice this year, was forced to settle for second.
Behind the dominant DAMS cars, Barcelona winner Robin Frijns was best of the rest for Hilmer Motorsport, ahead of Mitch Evans (Arden) and Carlin's Felipe Nasr. Fabio Leimer was sixth quickest for Racing Engineering, over half a second off Richelmi's time.
Adrian Quaife-Hobbs was the top Briton in seventh place for MP Motorsport, ahead of James Calado and Silverstone victor Sam Bird.
Tom Dillmann rounded out of the top 10, ahead of Jolyon Palmer. Silverstone sprint race winner Jon Lancaster will start 16th.
Pos Driver Team Time Ga Laps
1. Stephane Richelmi DAMS 1m38.487s 11
2. Marcus Ericsson DAMS 1m38.763s + 0.276s 11
3. Robin Frijns Hilmer 1m38.804s + 0.317s 12
4. Mitch Evans Arden 1m38.848s + 0.361s 14
5. Felipe Nasr Carlin 1m38.897s + 0.410s 12
6. Fabio Leimer Racing Engineering 1m38.997s + 0.510s 11
7. Adrian Quaife-Hobbs MP 1m39.006s + 0.519s 12
8. James Calado ART 1m39.018s + 0.531s 10
9. Sam Bird Russian Time 1m39.089s + 0.602s 12
10. Tom Dillmann Russian Time 1m39.186s + 0.699s 10
11. Jolyon Palmer Carlin 1m39.193s + 0.706s 13
12. Rene Binder Lazarus 1m39.243s + 0.756s 11
13. Stefano Coletti Rapax 1m39.274s + 0.787s 13
14. Alexander Rossi Caterham Racing 1m39.320s + 0.833s 13
15. Fabrizio Crestani Lazarus 1m39.374s + 0.887s 10
16. Jon Lancaster Hilmer 1m39.379s + 0.892s 12
17. Sergio Canamasas Caterham Racing 1m39.465s + 0.978s 13
18. Daniel de Jong MP 1m39.503s + 1.016s 14
19. Johnny Cecotto Jr Arden 1m39.723s + 1.236s 14
20. Rio Haryanto Addax 1m39.780s + 1.293s 12
21. Nathanel Berthon Trident 1m39.792s + 1.305s 12
22. Daniel Abt ART 1m39.813s + 1.326s 11
23. Kevin Ceccon Trident 1m39.876s + 1.389s 12
24. Julian Leal Racing Engineering 1m39.986s + 1.499s 14
25. Jake Rosenzweig Addax 1m40.064s + 1.577s 12
26. Simon Trummer Rapax 1m40.311s + 1.824s 14