The FIA believes it will be impossible to trace the source of the leaked documents that this week exposed details of the case surrounding the Renault race-fix allegations at last year's Singapore Grand Prix.
Just days after the FIA's dossier of evidence relating to the matter was distributed to members of the World Motor Sport Council ahead of its meeting in Paris on September 21 to discuss the matter, documents were published in various media.
The fact that the confidential documents were put into the public domain has been criticised by both Renault and the Formula One Teams' Association, and the FIA has promised a full investigation - as well as vowing to change the way documents are distributed in the future to prevent a possible repeat. However, despite expressing his irritation at what has happened, FIA president Max Mosley believes the governing body will never discover the true source of the leaks.
"It is very annoying when confidential documents get leaked," Mosley said at the Italian Grand Prix. "They were given to everybody on the basis that they were confidential, but in the end without taking precautions to match which document against which person.
"We should have done that and changed each one so we knew who leaked them. But they have been leaked and it is very annoying."
When asked about finding out the source of the leak, whether from within the governing body itself or from someone at Renault, Mosley said: "An awful lot of different people have had them for one reason or another, so it will be impossible and you will never get proof.
"The same thing happens in governments all the time, they keep leaking documents, you try and find out who does it but you cannot. It is just annoying."