Alexandre Premat set the pace in the second DTM practice session of the weekend at the Norisring on Saturday morning. The Audi driver spent most of the session towards the top of the times, and he grabbed top spot from Mercedes' Bruno Spengler with just 30 seconds to go.
Spengler improved his time at the end but could not get back ahead of the Frenchman, while behind them Maro Engel's Mercedes made it two older-spec cars in the top three. Despite Spengler and Engel being in contention at the front, there were more Audis at the sharp end than Mercedes.
Timo Scheider, Oliver Jarvis and Martin Tomczyk completed the top six in their 2009-spec Audis. Jamie Green, winner here for the past two years, was next up, before Mattias Ekstrom in the fourth Abt-run Audi. Gary Paffett and Ralf Schumacher made sure that there were a couple more Mercedes in the top 10, and just behind them Susie Stoddart edged David Coulthard, who had been one of the pace-setters early on.
Pos Driver Car Time Gap Laps
1. Alexandre Premat Audi 48.289s 48
2. Bruno Spengler Mercedes 48.393s +0.104 43
3. Maro Engel Mercedes 48.491s +0.202 43
4. Timo Scheider Audi 48.517s +0.228 43
5. Oliver Jarvis Audi 48.543s +0.254 51
6. Martin Tomczyk Audi 48.550s +0.261 47
7. Jamie Green Mercedes 48.566s +0.277 46
8. Mattias Ekstrom Audi 48.611s +0.322 43
9. Gary Paffett Mercedes 48.646s +0.357 48
10. Ralf Schumacher Mercedes 48.660s +0.371 47
11. Susie Stoddart Mercedes 48.669s +0.380 51
12. David Coulthard Mercedes 48.703s +0.414 42
13. Paul di Resta Mercedes 48.722s +0.433 39
14. Mike Rockenfeller Audi 48.756s +0.467 41
15. Franky Cheng Mercedes 48.877s +0.588 52
16. Katherine Legge Audi 48.905s +0.616 49
17. Miguel Molina Audi 48.972s +0.683 50
18. Markus Winkelhock Audi 49.019s +0.730 24