Will Power went quickest in the second practice session for this weekend's IndyCar race on the Belle Island street circuit in Detroit.
On a track that had mostly dried out from the morning's heavy rain, the Penske driver posted a best time of 1m12.8355s, putting him just 0.09sec clear of Dale Coyne Racing's Justin Wilson.
“This track is – it's insane how hard you've got to push to be quick,” said Power. “It's great and I had a lot of fun.”
“With this track you can't relax for a second – you have to stay on your toes,” added Wilson.
Power's teammate Ryan Briscoe was third-fastest, with Schmidt Hamilton's Simon Pagenaud and KV Racing's Tony Kanaan rounding out the top five.
The session was interrupted twice by red flags; the first being brought out early on when Ganassi's Scott Dixon lost the rear and spun to a stop in the middle of the track. He managed to avoid the wall, and went on to finish the afternoon sixth fastest.
HVM's Simona de Silvestro was responsible for the other stoppage when her car came to a halt with seven minutes remaining. The day got worse for de Silvestro when IndyCar confirmed later Friday she and Graham Rahal will incur 10-spot grid penalties for Sunday's race for unapproved engine changes.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Will Power Penske DW12-Chevy 1m12.8355s
2. Justin Wilson Dale Coyne DW12-Honda 1m12.9343s + 0.0988s
3. Ryan Briscoe Penske DW12-Chevy 1m13.1176s + 0.2821s
4. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt DW12-Honda 1m13.1195s + 0.2840s
5. Tony Kanaan KV DW12-Chevy 1m13.3012s + 0.4657s
6. Scott Dixon Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m13.3087s + 0.4732s
7. James Hinchcliffe Andretti DW12-Chevy 1m13.5110s + 0.6755s
8. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti DW12-Chevy 1m13.5912s + 0.7557s
9. Helio Castroneves Penske DW12-Chevy 1m13.8536s + 1.0181s
10. Oriol Servia Panther/DRR DW12-Chevy 1m13.9032s + 1.0677s
11. Mike Conway Foyt DW12-Honda 1m13.9673s + 1.1318s
12. Dario Franchitti Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m14.0573s + 1.2218s
13. Graham Rahal Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m14.1132s + 1.2777s
14. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon DW12-Chevy 1m14.1236s + 1.2881s
15. Rubens Barrichello KV DW12-Chevy 1m14.2174s + 1.3819s
16. Josef Newgarden Fisher DW12-Honda 1m14.3223s + 1.4868s
17. Marco Andretti Andretti DW12-Chevy 1m14.4458s + 1.6103s
18. JR Hildebrand Panther DW12-Chevy 1m14.5681s + 1.7326s
19. EJ Viso KV DW12-Chevy 1m14.7174s + 1.8819s
20. Charlie Kimball Ganassi DW12-Honda 1m15.0788s + 2.2433s
21. James Jakes Dale Coyne DW12-Honda 1m15.2476s + 2.4121s
22. Takuma Sato Rahal DW12-Honda 1m15.9058s + 3.0703s
23. Alex Tagliani Herta DW12-Honda 1m16.4184s + 3.5829s
24. Ed Carpenter Carpenter DW12-Chevy 1m17.3611s + 4.5256s
25. Simona de Silvestro HVM DW12-Lotus 1m20.5041s + 7.6686s