Will Power continues to be the benchmark in the opening stages of this weekend's IndyCar round in Sao Paulo after again going fastest in the second practice session.
The Australian, who was also quickest earlier on Saturday morning, held the top spot for the majority of the session and eventually whittled his time down to a best of 1m20.9264s, 0.3 second faster than his own track record.
Quick as Penske driver Power's lap was, it was only barely enough to keep him clear of Andretti's Ryan Hunter-Reay, who finished up 0.07sec off Power's time, with EJ Viso holding a similarly tight advantage over Scott Dixon to claim third fastest.
The session was interrupted by several stoppages, and again, Schmidt Peterson Motorsport had a hand in some of them. Tristan Vautier followed up his brush with the barriers in the morning by nosing into the Turn 6 tire wall five minutes into the session, although he was able to resume running after a visit to the pits. Meanwhile, the team managed to get Simon Pagenaud's car repaired from his earlier crash in time for him to get onto the track, only for his car to stop in the Sambadrome after completing just a handful of laps.
Several other drivers endured spins and other minor mishaps, including James Hinchcliffe, Dario Franchitti and Ed Carpenter, but the only other major incident came when Tony Kanaan tripped over the tires at Turn 2, bringing his car to a stop with wing and possible suspension damage, and prompting a spell under red flags.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Will Power Penske Dallara-Chevy 1m20.9264s
2. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti Dallara-Chevy 1m21.0022s + 0.0758s
3. EJ Viso Andretti Dallara-Chevy 1m21.2222s + 0.2958s
4. Scott Dixon Ganassi Dallara-Honda 1m21.2826s + 0.3562s
5. Helio Castroneves Penske Dallara-Chevy 1m21.2994s + 0.3730s
6. Dario Franchitti Ganassi Dallara-Honda 1m21.3993s + 0.4729s
7. James Hinchcliffe Andretti Dallara-Chevy 1m21.4284s + 0.5020s
8. Simona de Silvestro KV Dallara-Chevy 1m21.4362s + 0.5098s
9. Marco Andretti Andretti Dallara-Chevy 1m21.4438s + 0.5174s
10. Tony Kanaan KV Dallara-Chevy 1m21.5432s + 0.6168s
11. Oriol Servia Panther DRR Dallara-Chevy 1m21.6436s + 0.7172s
12. Tristan Vautier Schmidt Dallara-Honda 1m21.7000s + 0.7736s
13. Sebastian Saavedra Dragon Dallara-Chevy 1m21.7085s + 0.7821s
14. Graham Rahal Rahal Dallara-Honda 1m21.7565s + 0.8301s
15. Justin Wilson Coyne Dallara-Honda 1m21.7876s + 0.8612s
16. Takuma Sato Foyt Dallara-Honda 1m21.8194s + 0.8930s
17. JR Hildebrand Panther Dallara-Chevy 1m21.9140s + 0.9876s
18. Alex Tagliani Herta Dallara-Honda 1m21.9250s + 0.9986s
19. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt Dallara-Honda 1m21.9663s + 1.0399s
20. James Jakes Rahal Dallara-Honda 1m22.1233s + 1.1969s
21. Josef Newgarden Fisher Dallara-Honda 1m22.1334s + 1.2070s
22. Ana Beatriz Coyne Dallara-Honda 1m22.2278s + 1.3014s
23. Ed Carpenter Carpenter Dallara-Chevy 1m22.4926s + 1.5662s
24. Charlie Kimball Ganassi Dallara-Honda 1m22.6028s + 1.6764s
25. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon Dallara-Chevy 1m22.7761s + 1.8497s