Penske's Will Power opened this weekend's IndyCar Series round in Baltimore by going fastest in the opening practice session.
Power's best time of 1m20.8632s came on his final timed lap, and put him 0.2 seconds ahead of Andretti driver EJ Viso. Prior to his final run, the Australian's major impact on the session had been a near-miss with the barriers after being launched off the exit of the chicane.
Oriol Servia, Graham Rahal and Scott Dixon completed the top three on a morning punctuated twice by red flags. The first came when Stefan Wilson, making his debut in the second Dale Coyne Racing entry, went off the road at Turn 5, and the second was triggered a short time later by debris.
Target Chip Ganassi Racing's Dario Franchitti was restricted to just five laps after his car developed a sensor problem.
Pos Driver Team/Engine Time Gap
1. Will Power Penske/Chevy 1m20.8632s
2. EJ Viso Andretti/Chevy 1m21.1256s +0.2624s
3. Oriol Servia Panther/Chevy 1m21.2977s +0.4345s
4. Graham Rahal Rahal/Honda 1m21.3134s +0.4502s
5. Scott Dixon Ganassi/Honda 1m21.3247s +0.4615s
6. Josef Newgarden Fisher/Honda 1m21.4165s +0.5533s
7. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt/Honda 1m21.4521s +0.5889s
8. Tristan Vautier Schmidt/Honda 1m21.4625s +0.5993s
9. Marco Andretti Andretti/Chevy 1m21.5462s +0.6830s
10. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon/Chevy 1m21.5508s +0.6876s
11. James Jakes Rahal/Honda 1m21.6477s +0.7845s
12. Helio Castroneves Penske/Chevy 1m21.7964s +0.9332s
13. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti/Chevy 1m21.8010s +0.9378s
14. Justin Wilson Coyne/Honda 1m21.8058s +0.9426s
15. Takuma Sato Foyt/Honda 1m21.8487s +0.9855s
16. Charlie Kimball Ganassi/Honda 1m21.8769s +1.0137s
17. James Hinchcliffe Andretti/Chevy 1m22.1269s +1.2637s
18. Sebastian Saavedra Dragon/Chevy 1m22.1411s +1.2779s
19. Tony Kanaan KV/Chevy 1m22.1730s +1.3098s
20. Simona de Silvestro KV/Chevy 1m22.3078s +1.4446s
21. Luca Filippi Herta/Honda 1m22.5895s +1.7263s
22. Dario Franchitti Ganassi/Honda 1m23.4799s +2.6167s
23. Ed Carpenter Carpenter/Chevy 1m24.8443s +3.9811s
24. Stefan Wilson Coyne/Honda 1m25.2797s +4.4165s
All drivers use Dallara DW12 chassis