Will Power will start Sunday's IZOD IndyCar Series season opener in St. Petersburg from pole position after triumphing in an upset-laden qualifying session on the Floridian street circuit.
The Penske driver sealed the top spot with a 1m01.2070s lap to claim the 30th pole of his career, an achievement that moves him past Dario Franchitti into seventh on the all-time list. It was his fourth straight St. Petersburg pole.
"I thought qualifying was going to be very tight. It's very tight on new tires but we made a few changes for the last run and it was good to see some new people up there," said Power. "It's always like that in IndyCar. You can never predict what's going to happen."
Takuma Sato gifted his new team AJ Foyt Racing with a front row start for their first race together by going second-fastest, while Simona de Silvestro backed up her early weekend pace by setting the third-quickest time.
James Hinchcliffe was the only Andretti driver to make it through to the Fast Six, the Canadian edging Helio Castroneves out of fourth.
Rookie Tristan Vautier completed the top six for Sam Schmidt Motorsport.
It was a tough afternoon for several of IndyCar's traditional leading lights. Series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay will start his title defense from eighth on the grid after finishing up just behind Andretti teammate Marco Andretti, while Ganassi's best hope lies with Dario Franchitti in 10th after Scott Dixon failed to progress from the first qualifying phase.
Franchitti will share the fifth row with Sebastian Saavedra, with Tony Kanaan and Oriol Servia completing the top 12.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Will Power Penske Dallara-Chevy 1m01.2070s
2. Takuma Sato Foyt Dallara-Honda 1m01.5776s + 0.3706s
3. Simona de Silvestro KV Dallara-Chevy 1m01.7670s + 0.5600s
4. James Hinchcliffe Andretti Dallara-Chevy 1m01.8229s + 0.6159s
5. Helio Castroneves Penske Dallara-Chevy 1m01.8991s + 0.6921s
6. Tristan Vautier Schmidt Dallara-Honda 1m02.0645s + 0.8575s
7. Marco Andretti Andretti Dallara-Chevy 1m01.6883s Round 2
8. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti Dallara-Chevy 1m01.7339s Round 2
9. Sebastian Saavedra Dragon Dallara-Chevy 1m01.7944s Round 2
10. Dario Franchitti Ganassi Dallara-Honda 1m01.8150s Round 2
11. Tony Kanaan KV Dallara-Chevy 1m01.9139s Round 2
12. Oriol Servia Panther/DRR Dallara-Chevy 1m02.1483s Round 2
13. Justin Wilson Coyne Dallara-Honda 1m02.2177s Group 1
14. Charlie Kimball Ganassi Dallara-Honda 1m02.1198s Group 2
15. Graham Rahal Rahal Dallara-Honda 1m02.2709s Group 1
16. Josef Newgarden Fisher Dallara-Honda 1m02.1592s Group 2
17. Alex Tagliani Herta Dallara-Honda 1m02.3328s Group 1
18. James Jakes Rahal Dallara-Honda 1m02.1658s Group 2
19. Simon Pagenaud Schmidt Dallara-Honda 1m02.4736s Group 1
20. Scott Dixon Ganassi Dallara-Honda 1m02.1715s Group 2
21. Sebastien Bourdais Dragon Dallara-Chevy 1m02.6537s Group 1
22. EJ Viso Andretti Dallara-Chevy 1m02.1986s Group 2
23. Ed Carpenter Carpenter Dallara-Chevy 1m02.6634s Group 1
24. JR Hildebrand Panther Dallara-Chevy 1m02.3179s Group 2
25. Ana Beatriz Coyne Dallara-Honda 1m03.2551s Group 2