Edoardo Piscopo set the fastest time in this afternoon's final practice session for this weekend's opening Formula 2 round of the season at Valencia. The 22-year-old Italian used up a set of new tires to go three tenths of a second faster than his best time in the morning session, in which he finished seventh.
"It felt great, I didn't expect to be that fast," said Piscopo. "I thought maybe I would be in the top ten, but I didn't think I would be fastest."
None of the other frontrunners matched their times from the earlier session, despite a flurry of improvements in the closing minutes of the session. Philipp Eng went second fastest at the end, with Carlos Iaconelli third.
Morning pacesetter Andy Soucek was quickest for most of the session but was pushed down to fifth at the end, just behind Mikhail Aleshin.
There were offs during the half-hour session for Formula Palmer Audi graduates Jack Clarke and Jolyon Palmer.
Pos Driver Time Gap
1. Edoardo Piscopo 1m28.599s
2. Philipp Eng 1m28.875s +0.276
3. Carlos Iaconelli 1m29.171s +0.572
4. Mikhail Aleshin 1m29.172s +0.573
5. Andy Soucek 1m29.208s +0.609
6. Sebastian Hohenthal 1m29.467s +0.868
7. Tobias Hegewald 1m29.532s +0.933
8. Mirko Bortolotti 1m29.838s +1.239
9. Julien Jousse 1m29.840s +1.241
10. Milos Pavlovic 1m29.917s +1.318
11. Kazim Vasiliauskas 1m29.984s +1.385
12. Henry Surtees 1m30.115s +1.516
13. Nicola de Marco 1m30.205s +1.606
14. Armaan Ebrahim 1m30.245s +1.646
15. Robert Wickens 1m30.506s +1.907
16. Natacha Gachnang 1m30.507s +1.908
17. Henri Karjalainen 1m30.542s +1.943
18. Jack Clarke 1m30.621s +2.022
19. German Sanchez 1m30.644s +2.045
20. Alex Brundle 1m30.711s +2.112
21. Jens Hoing 1m30.849s +2.250
22. Jason Moore 1m30.922s +2.323
23. Tom Gladdis 1m31.719s +3.120
24. Jolyon Palmer 1m31.984s +3.385
25. Pietro Gandolfi 1m32.837s +4.238