Klaus Graf will start on pole position for Saturday's American Le Mans Series race in Baltimore. The Muscle Milk Pickett Racing HPD driver comfortably faster than the only other LMP1 entry of Chris Dyson, who is back in the Dyson Lola-Mazda this weekend.
“The Muscle Milk car was really performing well in qualifying, and it got quicker and quicker every lap,” Graf said. “The track changed a lot today. The IndyCars ran before our qualifying so there was a lot of grip, and based on the data we had and the changes we made, we did it perfectly.”
Debris in the straight-finish chicane caused the LMP2 session to be suspended. This created a 90-second shootout for pole but no one was able to usurp Ryan Briscoe from class pole. The Australian was almost half a second faster than Johannes van Overbeek in second.
Bill Auberlen led a surprise BMW 1-2 in GT qualifying following a great battle with fellow Z4 driver Joey Hand and the Corvettes. It is Auberlen's first pole position of the season and only the second time a BMW will start at the head of the super-competitive GT pack this year. Tommy Milner was the quickest of the 'Vettes in third, while Patrick Long was the faster of the Porsche drivers in fourth.
Jeroen Bleekemolen took pole position in the GTC class with a great effort aboard the Alex Job Racing Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car. His late run trumped the benchmark time set by Flying Lizard's Spencer Pumpelly. Sean Edwards and Damien Faulkner fill out the second row.
The LMPC session was also red-flagged after Rusty Mitchell had a big crash at Turn 4. He climbed gingerly from the car, and was transported to a nearby hospital for further checks.
Dane Cameron kept his place at the head of the standings during a fraught final few minutes, during which Kyle Marcelli nicked second from Colin Braun.
Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000149 EndHTML:0000003179 StartFragment:0000000199 EndFragment:0000003145 StartSelection:0000000199 EndSelection:0000003145 1. (6-P1) Lucas Luhr/Klaus Graf, HPD ARX-03c, 1:25.290, 86.106 mph
2. (16-P1) Chris Dyson/Guy Smith, Lola B12/60 Mazda, 1:26.750, 84.657
3. (551-P2) Scott Tucker/Ryan Briscoe, HPD ARX-03b, 1:27.170, 84.249
4. (02-P2) Ed Brown/Johannes van Overbeek, HPD ARX-03b, 1:27.669, 83.770
5. (01-P2) Scott Sharp/Anthony Lazzaro, HPD ARX-03b, 1:27.818, 83.628
6. (52-PC) Mike Guasch/Dane Cameron, ORECA FLM09, 1:28.235, 83.232
7. (552-P2) Scott Tucker/Guy Cosmo/Marino Franchitti, HPD ARX-03b,
8. (8-PC) Chris Cumming/Kyle Marcelli, ORECA FLM09, 1:28.518, 82.966
9. (05-PC) Jonathan Bennett/Colin Braun, ORECA FLM09, 1:28.716, 82.781
10. (9-PC) Alex Popow/Bruno Junqueira, ORECA FLM09, 1:29.081, 82.442
11. (55-GT) Bill Auberlen/Maxime Martin, BMW Z4 GTE, 1:29.560, 82.001
12. (56-GT) Joey Hand/Dirk Mueller, BMW Z4 GTE, 1:29.795, 81.786
13. (4-GT) Tommy Milner/Oliver Gavin, Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1,
14. (06-GT) Tom Kimber-Smith/Patrick Long, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR,
15. (3-GT) Jan Magnussen/Antonio Garcia, Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1,
16. (17-GT) Bryan Sellers/Wolf Henzler, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 1:30.238,
17. (91-GT) Dominik Farnbacher/Marc Goossens, SRT Viper GTS-R Viper
V-10, 1:30.599, 81.060
18. (62-GT) Matteo Malucelli/Olivier Beretta, Ferrari F458 Italia,
19. (48-GT) Bryce Miller/Marco Holzer, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 1:31.352,
20. (93-GT) Jonathan Bomarito/Kuno Wittmer, SRT Viper GTS-R Viper V-10,
21. (23-GT) Townsend Bell/Bill Sweedler, Ferrari F458 Italia, 1:31.494,
22. (18-PC) Tristan Nunez/Charlie Shears, ORECA FLM09, 1:32.234, 79.624
23. (22-GTC) Cooper MacNeil/Jeroen Bleekemolen, Porsche 911 GT3 Cup,
24. (45-GTC) Nelson Canache Jr./Spencer Pumpelly, Porsche 911 GT3 Cup,
25. (30-GTC) Henrique Cisneros/Sean Edwards, Porsche 911 GT3 Cup,
26. (66-GTC) Ben Keating/Damien Faulkner, Porsche 911 GT3 Cup,
27. (7-PC) Tomy Drissi/Rusty Mitchell, ORECA FLM09, 1:34.905, 77.383
28. (68-GTC) Al Carter/Kevin Estre, Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, 1:34.949, 77.347
29. (11-GTC) Mike Hedlund/Jan Heylen, Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, 1:35.371, 77.005
30. (44-GTC) Seth Neiman/Dion von Moltke, Porsche 911 GT3 Cup,
31. (27-GTC) Patrick Dempsey/Andy Lally, Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, 1:35.501,
32. (67-GTC) Marc Bunting/Norbert Siedler, Porsche 911 GT3 Cup, no time, no speed