Charles Pic clinched his first pole position of the season today at round five of the Formula Renault 3.5 Series at Silverstone.
The Frenchman will start Sunday's pit-stop race ahead of James Walker, after edging out the P1 Motorsport driver by 0.047s with just 20 seconds remaining in the session.
Pic's Tech 1 team-mate Brendon Hartley completed an excellent day for the reigning champion team to qualify third ahead of Carlin Motorsport's Oliver Turvey.
"My qualifying group was very difficult," said Pic. "I had a yellow flag on nearly every lap. Then when the red flag came I was left with one lap to do time and my tyres were really not in a new condition."
Hartley was equally happy with third after a troubled start to the season.
"I left it late because I had two laps of traffic," said Hartley. "I think if [Jaime] Alguersuari had spent less time blocking me, perhaps he could have been up here too. This is great for the team, they have been double teams' champion but things haven't gone at all well for us this year."
Hungary reverse-grid winner Fairuz Fauzy will start fifth on Sunday, alongside Walker's P1 Motorsport team-mate Daniil Move.
The joint championship leaders, Bertrand Baguette and Marcos Martinez, will share the front row for this afternoon's reverse-grid race, Baguette's eighth place earning him the 'pole'.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Charles Pic Tech 1 1m33.073s
2. James Walker P1 1m33.120s +0.047
3. Brendon Hartley Tech 1 1m33.426s +0.353
4. Oliver Turvey Carlin 1m33.501s +0.428
5. Fairuz Fauzy Fortec 1m33.591s +0.518
6. Daniil Move P1 1m33.732s +0.659
7. Marcos Martinez Pons 1m33.781s +0.708
8. Bertrand Baguette Draco 1m33.920s +0.847
9. Jaime Alguersuari Carlin 1m33.971s +0.898
10. Adrian Valles Epsilon 1m33.986s +0.913
11. Marco Barba Draco 1m34.107s +1.034
12. Greg Mansell Ultimate 1m34.149s +1.076