Charles Pic took a comfortable victory from pole position in the GP2 sprint race on the streets of Monte Carlo. The French Addax driver fended off a fast starting Josef Kral (Arden) to hold on to the lead into the first corner at the start, and from there he was never challenged.
Kral stayed close early on, but after two safety car periods in the first 12 laps Pic started to ease away when the race settled down. It was only in the closing stages that Kral had any pressure from behind, as third-placed Romain Grosjean closed up to his rear wing.
Before that, the DAMS driver went through a long sequence of setting a quick lap, then seemingly backing off to give himself enough clear track to make another attempt at getting the extra point for fastest lap, which was enough to put him joint with Sam Bird at the top of the championship.
The race was dull until the closing stages, when Carlin's Max Chilton, who had made a slow start from second on the grid, came under pressure in fourth place.
Davide Valsecchi (AirAsia) launched an attack into the chicane on lap 24, but he missed the corner and was then passed by Chilton and Super Nova's Luca Filippi on the run to Tabac. Filippi then put a clean move on Chilton at the same corner on lap 27, and shortly after Valsecchi was also through to take fifth.
Results - 30 laps:
Pos Driver Team Time/Gap
1. Charles Pic Addax 45m50.498s
2. Josef Kral Arden + 3.332s
3. Romain Grosjean DAMS + 3.885s
4. Luca Filippi Super Nova + 14.587s
5. Davide Valsecchi AirAsia + 27.072s
6. Max Chilton Carlin + 29.626s
7. Fabio Leimer Rapax + 29.846s
8. Oliver Turvey Carlin + 30.372s
9. Giedo van der Garde Addax + 30.859s
10. Fairuz Fauzy Super Nova + 31.585s
11. Jolyon Palmer Arden + 32.317s
12. Kevin Ceccon Coloni + 32.790s
13. Sam Bird iSport + 33.147s
14. Rodolfo Gonzalez Trident + 38.695s
15. Michael Herck Coloni + 40.518s
16. Alvaro Parente Racing Engineering + 40.687s
17. Johnny Cecotto Ocean + 41.131s
18. Dani Clos Racing Engineering + 42.611s
19. Jules Bianchi ART + 51.544s
20. Luiz Razia AirAsia + 1 lap
21. Pal Varhaug DAMS + 1 lap
Stefano Coletti Trident 20 laps
Marcus Ericsson iSport 8 laps
Julian Leal Rapax 3 laps
Kevin Mirocha Ocean 2 laps
Esteban Gutierrez ART 0 laps