Alexandre Premat led a one-two for Team Phoenix's one-year-old Audis in Saturday morning's DTM practice session at Lausitz.
The French driver and his teammate Oliver Jarvis were at the top of the timesheets when the session was stopped with 11 minutes remaining after Johannes Seidlitz had a big crash towards the end of the lap.
The German rookie ran wide out of one of the final corners, and spun across the track as his right rear wheel touched a wet patch. His car speared into the barrier on the other side of the track, causing serious damage to the rear of his A4.
Officials decided that it would not be possible to restart the session, meaning that the majority of drivers would not have had a chance to simulate qualifying runs at the end.
Behind the 2008 Audis, reigning champion Timo Scheider was third quickest ahead of Jamie Green's one-year-old Mercedes, and Hockenheim race winner Tom Kristensen.
Mattias Ekstrom was sixth fastest for Audi, ahead of Paul di Resta in the top 2009 Mercedes.
The weather conditions at Lausitz prevented the session from offering an accurate form guide ahead of qualifying. The track was wet to begin with, and took a long time to dry.
The lap times fell significantly once it did, and drivers from both manufacturers were able to set the pace during the variable conditions.
Ralf Schumacher finished the session a long way adrift of the rest of the field, as he was forced to spend most of his morning in the pits with a problem, preventing him from running once conditions had improved.
Pos Driver Car Time
1. Alexandre Premat Audi 1m18.378s
2. Oliver Jarvis Audi 1m18.575s + 0.197s
3. Timo Scheider Audi 1m18.588s + 0.210s
4. Jamie Green Mercedes 1m18.603s + 0.225s
5. Tom Kristensen Audi 1m18.676s + 0.298s
6. Mattias Ekstrom Audi 1m18.763s + 0.385s
7. Paul di Resta Mercedes 1m18.786s + 0.408s
8. Martin Tomczyk Audi 1m18.803s + 0.425s
9. Maro Engel Mercedes 1m18.805s + 0.427s
10. Mike Rockenfeller Audi 1m18.853s + 0.475s
11. Bruno Spengler Mercedes 1m18.922s + 0.544s
12. Markus Winkelhock Audi 1m19.112s + 0.734s
13. Mathias Lauda Mercedes 1m19.137s + 0.759s
14. Katherine Legge Audi 1m19.220s + 0.842s
15. Gary Paffett Mercedes 1m19.417s + 1.039s
16. Susie Stoddart Mercedes 1m19.456s + 1.078s
17. Christian Bakkerud Audi 1m20.094s + 1.716s
18. Tomas Kostka Audi 1m20.467s + 2.089s
19. Johannes Seidlitz Audi 1m21.172s + 2.794s
20. Ralf Schumacher Mercedes 1m31.547s + 13.169s