Danilo Petrucci was quickest in a very quiet opening MotoGP practice session at Misano.
Damp and very cold conditions dissuaded most of the prototype field from coming out, meaning the timesheets were dominated by CRT riders. Petrucci's late 1m43.178s on the Suter-BMW that Ioda has switched to this weekend put him 0.2 seconds ahead of Michele Pirro's Gresini FTR-Honda.
James Ellison completed the top three on Paul Bird's Aprilia. Fourth went to newcomer David Salom, replacing Ivan Silva in the Avintia line-up.
Only two prototype riders set times: Yamaha's Ben Spies in fifth and Ducati's Nicky Hayden in seventh.
Title rivals Jorge Lorenzo and Dani Pedrosa, and Casey Stoner's stand-in Jonathan Rea, were among the large number of riders who preferred to wait for better conditions later on.
Pos Rider Bike Time Laps
1. Danilo Petrucci Suter 1m43.178s 11
2. Michele Pirro FTR 1m43.327s + 0.149 13
3. James Ellison ART 1m45.730s + 2.552 15
4. David Salom BQR 1m46.886s + 3.708 12
5. Ben Spies Tech 3 Yamaha 1m48.298s + 5.120 6
6. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m48.409s + 5.231 5
7. Yonny Hernandez BQR 1m48.553s + 5.375 9
8. Mattia Pasini ART 1m50.482s + 7.304 9
9. Colin Edwards Suter 1m53.064s + 9.886 7