Sergio Perez says he is not focusing on the renewed speculation about his future plans in F1.
Although a potential switch to Ferrari appears to be off for now, with Luca di Montezemolo saying the Mexican lacks experience, Perez has now been linked with a move to McLaren if Lewis Hamilton leaves. Perez said that the frenzied talk about his future that erupted after his podium finish in Monza was not a surprise, but he made it clear on Thursday that talk he had been sounded out by McLaren was wide of the work.
"In the position I am in, when I have a good result because I am fighting for points and sometimes able to get some good podiums, it is time when rumors start," he said. "Then, when you have a bad race you have no more rumors. In that respect I am not worried. I know I have a very strong car for the next seven races, so I hope we can deliver some good results."
He added: "There are so many rumors. Before it was Ferrari, now it is McLaren. So always when I have a good race they put me in a different team. The most important thing is to keep doing a good job and maximize the potential we have for the next few races."
When asked directly if he had been approached by any front-running teams for next year, Perez replied: "No."
He added that he felt ready for the step up to a top team like Ferrari, even though di Montezemolo has reservations about his lack of experience.
"I have respect for what di Montezemolo said about experience," he said. "I respect his opinion. I have to know my position, and probably he means to become a Ferrari driver you probably need more.
"It is only my second year in F1. I feel ready to do a good job in a top team to be able to fight for the championship; in that respect I feel ready."