Team Penske has announced that Will Power will return for five more IndyCar Series events this year, starting with next weekend's Toronto street race.
The Australian had been hired as a temporary stand-in for Helio Castroneves at the beginning of the season while the Brazilian was on trial for tax evasion. When Castroneves was exonerated on the Friday of the Long Beach race weekend, he immediately flew to the circuit and reclaimed his regular No. 3 car from Power, who was transferred to a third car that Penske had waiting in the wings and went on to take pole and finish second.
With no full season funding for a third car in place, Power's only guaranteed appearance after Castroneves' return was the Indianapolis 500, where he finished fifth. But he has now been recalled for the Toronto, Edmonton, Kentucky, Sears Point and Homestead races, where he will drive a third Penske Dallara-Honda sponsored by Penske Truck Rental alongside Castroneves and Ryan Briscoe.
"Will has done a terrific job for Penske Racing and he has earned the opportunity to compete in more races," said team boss Roger Penske. "Will is a great asset to the team."
Power had always maintained that it was a better option for his career to remain within the Penske organisation -- even if he did not compete in every race -- than to seek a full-time drive elsewhere.
"I am really looking forward to getting back on the track and driving for Penske Racing," he said. "I have learned so much working with everyone on the team this season and I plan to make the most of this opportunity."
The 28-year-old Australian was second in the championship after Long Beach, but his absences since then have seen him fall to 19th in the standings.