Dani Pedrosa moved to the top of the times on the second day of testing at Sepang, as the HRC Honda rider became the first man to break into the 2m00s bracket.
The Spaniard, who set his best lap time early in the morning session, was more than half a second faster than his teammate Casey Stoner, while Ben Spies – trying different specifications of factory Yamaha M1s – was third fastest. Pedrosa, who reckoned he had never ridden so fast around Sepang, tried the new 2011 engine among other things, and declared himself pleased with it.
"I think it's the first time I've ridden so fast on this track, but you're just fresh in the morning and I did four very good first laps," he said. "I was not looking for a time, but I saw that the track conditions were good and I pushed. The closer you get to the limit, the clearer the changes you are doing on the bike become, which lead you in the right direction.
"Today I tried the new engine, which has improved from Valencia, some chassis configurations and rear shocks. Tomorrow the plan is to continue comparing both bikes and it would be great to come away with the chassis and engine decided for the next test."
Andrea Dovizioso made it three HRC bikes in the top four, while Marco Simoncelli, using a factory RC212V run out of the Gresini garage, was fifth fastest ahead of teammate Hiroshi Aoyama.
World Champion Jorge Lorenzo was seventh fastest after spending the day evaluating a new chassis for his factory Yamaha, while Alvaro Bautista slipped to eighth on the sole Suzuki.
Hector Barbera was the fastest Ducati rider in 10th spot, the Aspar team 1.3sec off the ultimate pace, but still some 0.3sec up on the factory GP11 of Nicky Hayden who was 11th.
Valentino Rossi struggled with his injured shoulder once again, and was two tenths slower than his teammate Hayden, the factory Ducati pair split by Randy de Puniet's Pramac Ducati.
Pos Rider Team Time Gap
1. Dani Pedrosa Honda 2m00.770s
2. Casey Stoner Honda 2m01.434s + 0.664s
3. Ben Spies Yamaha 2m01.508s + 0.738s
4. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 2m01.512s + 0.742s
5. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda 2m01.522s + 0.752s
6. Hiroshi Aoyama Gresini Honda 2m01.534s + 0.764s
7. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 2m01.563s + 0.793s
8. Alvaro Bautista Suzuki 2m01.687s + 0.917s
9. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 2m01.722s + 0.952s
10. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati 2m02.093s + 1.323s
11. Nicky Hayden Ducati 2m02.379s + 1.609s
12. Randy de Puniet Pramac Ducati 2m02.426s + 1.656s
13. Valentino Rossi Ducati 2m02.597s + 1.827s
14. Kousuke Akiyoshi Honda Test 2m02.619s + 1.849s
15. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 2m03.032s + 2.262s
16. Loris Capirossi Pramac Ducati 2m03.047s + 2.277s
17. Karel Abraham Cardion Ducati 2m03.466s + 2.696s
18. Toni Elias LCR Honda 2m04.026s + 3.256s