Dani Pedrosa led a Spanish one-two in the final free practice session at Jerez, beating compatriot Jorge Lorenzo by under a tenth of a second.
The result marked Pedrosa's return to the top of the timesheets for the first time since his winter of accidents and injuries. The Honda rider had only been 10th in yesterday's opening session.
Motegi winner Lorenzo came closest to denying Pedrosa the top spot, with Casey Stoner taking third for Ducati ahead of an impressive performance by Randy de Puniet on the LCR Honda. Andrea Dovizioso completed a strong morning for Honda by putting the second factory bike in fifth place.
Friday pace-setters Valentino Rossi (Yamaha) and Loris Capirossi (Suzuki) were only seventh and eighth this morning, behind Colin Edwards' Tech 3 Yamaha.
Pos Rider Bike Time
1. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m39.422s
2. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m39.476s + 0.054s
3. Casey Stoner Ducati 1m39.542s + 0.120s
4. Randy de Puniet LCR Honda 1m39.759s + 0.337s
5. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1m39.962s + 0.540s
6. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 1m40.134s + 0.712s
7. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m40.244s + 0.822s
8. Loris Capirossi Suzuki 1m40.304s + 0.882s
9. Marco Melandri Hayate Kawasaki 1m40.520s + 1.098s
10. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m40.593s + 1.171s
11. Alex de Angelis Gresini Honda 1m40.601s + 1.179s
12. Toni Elias Gresini Honda 1m40.762s + 1.340s
13. Chris Vermeulen Suzuki 1m40.829s + 1.407s
14. Sete Gibernau Hernando Ducati 1m40.878s + 1.456s
15. James Toseland Tech 3 Yamaha 1m41.042s + 1.620s
16. Yuki Takahashi Scot Honda 1m41.203s + 1.781s
17. Mika Kallio Pramac Ducati 1m41.339s + 1.917s
18. Niccolo Canepa Pramac Ducati 1m42.167s + 2.745s