Dani Pedrosa produced a late surge to go fastest in the third and final MotoGP practice session ahead of the Catalunya Grand Prix.
As was the case in yesterday's sessions tyre choice proved critical, with Pedrosa's time – a 1m41.646s, the fastest ever on a MotoGP bike at Barcelona – coming when he switched to a softer rear compound.
Pedrosa's two-lap flurry, set as the checkered flag was readied, deprived works Honda teammate of top spot by just over three tenths of a second.
Stoner had himself produced a late burst to depose Tech 3 Yamaha's Andrea Dovizioso, who had been on top for the majority of the session after becoming the first rider to dip under the 1m42s mark. Of the top three however, only Stoner set his time on the harder front and rear compounds.
Pramac Ducati's Hector Barbera ran toward the front for the entire session and eventually ended fourth, ahead of the works Ducati rider Nicky Hayden. The Texan followed Stoner's lead by opting for hard front and rears.
Yamaha's Jorge Lorenzo ended more than one second down on Pedrosa in sixth, ahead of Stefan Bradl (LCR Honda), Cal Crutchlow (Tech 3 Yamaha) and Valentino Rossi (Ducati).
Having complained about the set-up of his Ducati following the opening two practice sessions, Rossi opted to switch back to the carbon fiber swingarm he had used prior to the team's recent Mugello test.
Gresini Honda's Alvaro Bautista finished 10th fastest ahead of the second works Yamaha of Ben Spies.
Aspar's CRT duo Aleix Espargaro and Randy de Puniet meanwhile occupied 12th and 13th, with the Cardion Ducati of Karel Abraham 14th.
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap
1. Daniel Pedrosa Honda 1m41.646s
2. Casey Stoner Honda 1m41.966s + 0.320s
3. Andrea Dovizioso Tech 3 Yamaha 1m41.993s + 0.347s
4. Hector Barbera Pramac Ducati 1m42.353s + 0.707s
5. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m42.433s + 0.787s
6. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m42.697s + 1.051s
7. Stefan Bradl LCR Honda 1m42.784s + 1.138s
8. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 1m42.906s + 1.260s
9. Valentino Rossi Ducati 1m43.123s + 1.477s
10. Alvaro Bautista Gresini Honda 1m43.133s + 1.487s
11. Ben Spies Yamaha 1m43.440s + 1.794s
12. Aleix Espargaro Aspar Aprilia 1m43.882s + 2.236s
13. Randy de Puniet Aspar Aprilia 1m43.991s + 2.345s
14. Karel Abraham Cardion Ducati 1m44.585s + 2.939s
15. Mattia Pasini Speed Master Aprilia 1m44.901s + 3.255s
16. Colin Edwards Forward Suter-BMW 1m45.193s + 3.547s
17. Michele Pirro Gresini FTR-Honda 1m45.670s + 4.024s
18. James Ellison Forward Suter-BMW 1m45.785s + 4.139s
19. Yonni Hernandez Avintia FTR-Kawasaki 1m45.824s + 4.178s
20. Danilo Petrucci Ioda-Aprilia 1m45.942s + 4.296s
21. Ivan Silva Avintia Inmotec-Kawasaki 1m46.889s + 5.243s