Honda's Dani Pedrosa has dominated the second and final MotoGP free practice session for the Red Bull USGP at Indianapolis. The Spaniard, who also topped the times in yesterday's wet practice, led the last three quarters of today's dry one-hour session to end up over a second quicker than anyone else.
With the time already expired, Pedrosa set a final time of 1m40.271s that improved by almost seven tenths over his previous best lap, and widened the gap over fellow countryman Jorge Lorenzo in second place to 1.015sec.
Lorenzo's Yamaha team-mate Valentino Rossi was third for most of the session but was pushed down to fourth in the closing minutes by Gresini Honda's Alex de Angelis.
American favorites Colin Edwards (Tech 3 Yamaha) and Nicky Hayden (Ducati) were respectively fifth and seventh, split by Andrea Dovizioso's works Honda in sixth.
Ducatis also figured in eighth and ninth place, with Niccolo Canepa's Pramac entry ahead of Mika Kallio's factory bike, while Marco Melandri's Hayate Kawasaki completes the top ten.
Pramac Ducati's replacement Aleix Espargaro made a good impression again by slotting in 14th place.
Pos Rider Bike Time Gap Laps
1. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m40.271s 27
2. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m41.286s +1.015s 27
3. Alex de Angelis Gresini Honda 1m41.324s +1.053s 26
4. Valentino Rossi Yamaha 1m41.389s +1.118s 25
5. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 1m41.459s +1.188s 26
6. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1m41.793s +1.522s 28
7. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m41.883s +1.612s 28
8. Niccolo Canepa Pramac Ducati 1m42.380s +2.109s 27
9. Mika Kallio Ducati 1m42.433s +2.162s 25
10. Marco Melandri Hayate Kawasaki 1m42.460s +2.189s 24
11. Loris Capirossi Suzuki 1m42.507s +2.236s 23
12. Toni Elias Gresini Honda 1m42.603s +2.332s 23
13. Chris Vermeulen Suzuki 1m42.665s +2.394s 27
14. Aleix Espargaro Pramac Ducati 1m42.775s +2.504s 25
15. Randy de Puniet LCR Honda 1m42.815s +2.544s 26
16. James Toseland Tech 3 Yamaha 1m43.131s +2.860s 22
17. Gabor Talmacsi Scot Honda 1m43.184s +2.913s 27