Gary Paffett set the pace during official DTM testing at Hockenheim on Monday. The HWA Mercedes driver was fastest in his C-Coupe, which is built to the championship's new-for-2012 regulations in 1m33.284s.
Rahel Frey, who moves up to the Abt Audi squad for the coming season, was just 0.147sec slower than Paffett and headed a four-car train of A5s for the manufacturer between second and fifth positions.
Edoardo Mortara put his Team Rosberg car third ahead of Abt's Timo Scheider and Phoenix Racing's Miguel Molina. David Coulthard was seventh in his Mucke Mercedes, one place ahead of fellow Scot Susie Wolff's Persson vehicle.
Dirk Werner was the best of the handful of BMW drivers present at the circuit in his Schnitzer car in eighth and over 1.2sec off the pace. Augusto Farfus (RBM BMW) was a spot further back with Jamie Green (HWA) and defending champion Martin Tomczyk (RMG BMW) completing the runners.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Gary Paffett HWA Mercedes 1m33.284s
2. Rahel Frey Abt Audi 1m33.431s + 0.147s
3. Edoardo Mortara Rosberg Audi 1m33.431s + 0.427s
4. Timo Scheider Abt Audi 1m34.041s + 0.757s
5. Miguel Molina Phoenix Audi 1m34.060s + 0.776s
6. David Coulthard Mucke Mercedes 1m34.129s + 0.845s
7. Susie Wolff Persson Audi 1m34.182s + 0.898s
8. Dirk Werner Schnitzer BMW 1m34.509s + 1.225s
9. Augusto Farfus RBM BMW 1m34.573s + 1.289s
10. Jamie Green HWA Mercedes 1m34.850s + 1.566s
11. Martin Tomczyk RMG BMW 1m34.962s + 1.678s