Gary Paffett led home Paul di Resta to take a dominant Mercedes 1-2 in the DTM race at Zandvoort, after pole-sitter Timo Scheider stalled at the start.
Scheider's slow getaway handed the British Mercedes pair an advantage they would hold throughout the race, as they coasted away from the rest of the field. The reigning champion dropped as low as 10th on the opening lap, but thanks to some clever strategy and generous Audi team-mates he was able show his blistering speed and recover to take third place.
Mattias Ekstrom had to settle for a distant fourth. The Swede had been unable to match the pace of Miguel Molina in the first stint. Molina let him by after the first stops, but then had to do it again after he got back ahead during the second stops.
The race stewards then placed the pair under investigation for team orders in the closing stages. It is the third time in four years that Audi has been at the center of a team orders dispute at this track.
Behind the top five, Audi's Oliver Jarvis held off a queue of cars in the closing stages to take sixth. That bunch included Bruno Spengler, who spent most of the race scrapping with eventual podium finisher Scheider. However, the Mercedes driver lost out heavily in the second round of pit stops, and only salvaged seventh place after a robust move on Mike Rockenfeller resulted in the Audi spinning off.
Rockenfeller's plight allowed Martin Tomczyk to snatch a point from a difficult weekend. However, the German had to fight hard in the closing laps to keep Ralf Schumacher and Jamie Green at bay.
Pos Driver Car Time/Gap
1. Gary Paffett Mercedes 1h07m04.346s
2. Paul di Resta Mercedes + 0.396s
3. Timo Scheider Audi + 12.238s
4. Mattias Ekstrom Audi + 18.659s
5. Miguel Molina Audi + 19.310s
6. Oliver Jarvis Audi + 20.568s
7. Bruno Spengler Mercedes + 20.886s
8. Martin Tomczyk Audi + 21.706s
9. Ralf Schumacher Mercedes + 22.113s
10. Jamie Green Mercedes + 22.880s
11. Alexandre Premat Audi + 33.747s
12. David Coulthard Mercedes + 36.578s
13. Mike Rockenfeller Audi + 44.528s
14. Katherine Legge Audi + 48.892s
15. Susie Stoddart Mercedes + 49.235s
16. Cong Fu Cheng Mercedes + 1m19.178s
Maro Engel Mercedes 2 laps