Ryan Newman surged to pole for the New Hampshire NASCAR Sprint Cup race with a run late in qualifying.
It looked unlikely that anyone would topple Kasey Kahne from his provisional pole position for most of the afternoon. But Newman's Stewart-Haas Chevrolet emerged from the qualifying line late in the session and did two laps good enough for pole. His best of 27.904 seconds and 136.497mph edged out Kahne's Hendrick Chevrolet by 0.085sec.
Jeff Gordon was one of the remaining threats to Newman, though that seemed unlikely when his first lap was only good enough for 23rd. The Hendrick man's second lap was far quicker, taking him to third ahead of Kurt Busch.
Martin Truex Jr. gave his troubled Michael Waltrip Racing team a slight lift by qualifying fifth, ahead of Joey Logano. Childress duo Paul Menard and Kevin Harvick fill row five, ahead of championship leader Matt Kenseth and Greg Biffle.
The latter was the only one of the Roush Fenway trio to run strongly. Carl Edwards and Ricky Stenhouse Jr start way down in 26th and 31st places.
Veteran Kenny Wallace stood in for Brian Vickers, while the Waltrip driver was on Nationwide duty at Kentucky and was 26th fastest.
Several driver line-ups in the lower half of the field have been shuffled for this weekend. Most notable changes were Michael McDowell moving from Phil Parsons Racing to Phoenix Racing and qualifying 27th, while rookie driver Kevin Swindell made his Cup debut for Swan and claimed 33rd.
Josh Wise failed to set a time after his Front Row Ford blew a tyre and crashed.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Ryan Newman Stewart-Haas Chevrolet 27.904s
2. Kasey Kahne Hendrick Chevrolet 27.989s +0.085s
3. Jeff Gordon Hendrick Chevrolet 27.995s +0.091s
4. Kurt Busch Furniture Row Chevrolet 28.033s +0.129s
5. Martin Truex Jr Waltrip Toyota 28.081s +0.177s
6. Joey Logano Penske Ford 28.104s +0.200s
7. Paul Menard Childress Chevrolet 28.117s +0.213s
8. Kevin Harvick Childress Chevrolet 28.128s +0.224s
9. Matt Kenseth Joe Gibbs Toyota 28.136s +0.232s
10. Greg Biffle Roush Fenway Ford 28.170s +0.266s
11. Jimmie Johnson Hendrick Chevrolet 28.187s +0.283s
12. Kyle Busch Joe Gibbs Toyota 28.193s +0.289s
13. Aric Almirola Petty Ford 28.198s +0.294s
14. Denny Hamlin Joe Gibbs Toyota 28.209s +0.305s
15. Juan Pablo Montoya Earnhardt Ganassi Chevrolet 28.216s +0.312s
16. Clint Bowyer Waltrip Toyota 28.236s +0.332s
17. Dale Earnhardt Jr Hendrick Chevrolet 28.323s +0.419s
18. Mark Martin Stewart-Haas Chevrolet 28.335s +0.431s
19. David Ragan Front Row Ford 28.362s +0.458s
20. Brad Keselowski Penske Ford 28.378s +0.474s
21. Danica Patrick Stewart-Haas Chevrolet 28.383s +0.479s
22. Marcos Ambrose Petty Ford 28.396s +0.492s
23. Jamie McMurray Earnhardt Ganassi Chevrolet 28.428s +0.524s
24. David Gilliland Front Row Ford 28.468s +0.564s
25. Jeff Burton Childress Chevrolet 28.473s +0.569s
26. Carl Edwards Roush Fenway Ford 28.501s +0.597s
27. Michael McDowell Phoenix Chevrolet 28.520s +0.616s
28. Bobby Labonte JTG Daugherty Toyota 28.526s +0.622s
29. Kenny Wallace Waltrip Toyota 28.550s +0.646s
30. Travis Kvapil BK Toyota 28.573s +0.669s
31. Ricky Stenhouse Jr Roush Fenway Ford 28.577s +0.673s
32. Landon Cassill Hillman Chevrolet 28.601s +0.697s
33. Kevin Swindell Swan Toyota 28.775s +0.871s
34. Casey Mears Germain Ford 28.804s +0.900s
35. David Reutimann BK Toyota 28.811s +0.907s
36. Joe Nemechek NEMCO Toyota 28.819s +0.915s
37. JJ Yeley Baldwin Chevrolet 28.835s +0.931s
38. Dave Blaney Baldwin Chevrolet 28.844s +0.940s
39. Tony Raines Circle Sport Chevrolet 28.965s +1.061s
40. Scott Riggs Leavine Ford 29.067s +1.163s
41. Johnny Sauter Parsons Ford 29.161s +1.257s
42. Timmy Hill FAS Lane Ford 29.579s +1.675s
43. Josh Wise Front Row Ford