A spokesman for the group behind the Formula 1 street race in New Jersey scheduled for June of next year has denied suggestions by F1 commercial manager Bernie Ecclestone that the race could be postponed until 2014, in a report by NJBiz.com
Ecclestone told Britain's BBC on Tuesday that there was some doubt about whether the track would be ready in time for next year. "Maybe the New York race will be 2013," he said. "It's a when – 2013 or 2014."
However, Stephen Sigmund, of Grand Prix of America at Port Imperial, told NJBiz, "The race is on, as scheduled, for 2013."
The 3.2-mile waterfront race course will incorporate parts of West New York and Weehawken, N.J. The group released a photo earlier this month (ABOVE) of the F1 garage complex, now under construction, whose upper levels will contain hospitality suites with views of pit lane, the front straightaway and the New York City skyline. The track is located largely in the Port Imperial development owned by Roseland Property Co., which also indicated it remains committed to a race in 2013.
"As the primary land owner for the race site, we continue to plan and prepare for a June 2013 race," said Carl Goldberg, managing partner of Roseland, in an e-mailed message to NJBiz.