Felipe Nasr set the fastest time by over three quarters of a second in the free practice session for the third race weekend of the GP2 Series at Barcelona.
Track conditions were dry following the first Formula 1 session, and conditions were ideal for quick times from the start. Jolyon Palmer was first to set the fastest time for Carlin, soon toppled by reigning Formula Renault 3.5 champion Robin Frijns (Hilmer). But Nasr soon stamped his authority on the session with his 1m30.103s lap that would stand as the quickest in the session.
James Calado went second fastest on 1m30.864s in his reliveried ART Grand Prix entry, 0.761sec off Nasr's pace, with Johnny Cecotto Jr. third fastest for Arden International.
Palmer and Frijns ended the session fourth and fifth respectively, with series leader Stefano Coletti sixth fastest, after sitting in the pits when track conditions appeared at their best.
Coletti was four places clear of title rival Fabio Leimer, whom he leads by 10 points in the championship. Leimer suffered a couple of brief off-track moments during the session.
Sam Bird was seventh fastest ahead of Russian Time teammate Tom Dillmann, although Bird is under investigation for a possible yellow-flag infringement.
Everyone used one set of hard tires in the session, with Dillmann's in particular showing signs of heavy wear as the track heated up.
Series returnee Jon Lancaster was a creditable 16th fastest for Hilmer, where he replaces Pal Varhaug.
Casualties in the session included Daniel de Jong, whose MP Motorsport car was pushed away at Turn 8 after stopping on his out-lap, suggesting a repeat of the electrical issues he's been suffering this year.
Simon Trummer spun off exiting Turn 12, demolishing a marker board on his first proper flying lap. He went no further.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap Laps
1. Felipe Nasr Carlin 1m30.103s 13
2. James Calado ART 1m30.864s + 0.761s 11
3. Johnny Cecotto Jr Arden 1m30.951s + 0.848s 8
4. Jolyon Palmer Carlin 1m30.977s + 0.874s 15
5. Robin Frijns Hilmer 1m31.010s + 0.907s 13
6. Stefano Coletti Rapax 1m31.092s + 0.989s 8
7. Sam Bird Russian Time 1m31.265s + 1.162s 10
8. Tom Dillmann Russian Time 1m31.290s + 1.187s 10
9. Marcus Ericsson DAMS 1m31.295s + 1.192s 12
10. Fabio Leimer Racing Engineering 1m31.303s + 1.200s 10
11. Mitch Evans Arden 1m31.339s + 1.236s 11
12. Daniel Abt ART 1m31.389s + 1.286s 11
13. Kevin Ceccon Trident 1m31.492s + 1.389s 11
14. Alexander Rossi Caterham 1m31.528s + 1.425s 14
15. Stefano Richelmi DAMS 1m31.577s + 1.474s 12
16. Jon Lancaster Hilmer 1m31.846s + 1.743s 16
17. Kevin Giovesi Lazarus 1m31.930s + 1.827s 7
18. Sergio Canamasas Caterham 1m32.020s + 1.917s 15
19. Rene Binder Lazarus 1m32.077s + 1.974s 11
20. Nathanael Berthon Trident 1m32.276s + 2.173s 14
21. Jake Rosenzweig Addax 1m32.413s + 2.310s 12
22. Rio Haryanto Addax 1m32.468s + 2.365s 14
23. Julian Leal Racing Engineering 1m32.646s + 2.543s 10
24. Adrian Quaife-Hobbs MP Motorsport 1m33.455s + 3.352s 9
25. Simon Trummer Rapax 1m41.742s + 11.639s 2
26. Daniel de Jong MP Motorsport no time 2