Greg Murphy took a surprise Bathurst 1000 pole position for himself and teammate Allan Simonsen as a rain shower hampered several big names in the top 10 shootout.
The weather turned just before championship leader Jamie Whincup took to the track, leaving the Triple Eight Holden driver, Friday qualifying pacesetter Garth Tander (Holden Racing Team) and Ford Performance Racing's Mark Winterbottom to struggle around miles off the pace, leaving them in eighth, ninth and 10th on the grid.
Before then, Murphy had managed a 2m08.8009s in his Kelly Racing Holden, denying FPR's Will Davison pole by 0.08sec, and giving the Kiwi his first pole in six years.
The front row start was still a better result than expected for Davison and co-driver Luke Youlden as they only got into the top 10 shoot-out after Lee Holdsworth (Garry Rogers Holden) for penalised for not presenting his car for weighing at the end of yesterday's session.
Last year's winners Craig Lowndes and Mark Skaife will aim to repeat that result from third on the grid in their Triple Eight Holden.
The James Courtney/Cameron McConville HRT Holden and Shane van Gisbergen/John McIntyre Stone Brothers Ford complete the top five for V8 Supercar's most famous event.
SPEED will provide seven hours of live coverage of the Bathurst 1000, beginning at 7 p.m. ET Saturday night.
Pos Drivers Team/Car Time Gap
1. Murphy/Simonsen Kelly Holden 2m08.8009s
2. Davison/Youlden FPR Ford 2m08.8821s + 0.0812s
3. Lowndes/Skaife Triple 8 Holden 2m09.2197s + 0.4188s
4. McConville/Courtney HRT Holden 2m09.2359s + 0.4350s
5. Van Gisbergen/McIntyre Stone Brothers Ford 2m09.3820s + 0.5811s
6. Owen/Morris Paul Morris Holden 2m09.5177s + 0.7168s
7. Reynolds/Blanchard Kelly Holden 2m10.1570s + 1.3561s
8. Whincup/Thompson Triple 8 Holden 2m26.6012s + 17.8003s
9. Tander/Percat HRT Holden 2m31.3934s + 22.5925s
10. Winterbottom/Richards FPR Ford 2m52.0682s + 43.2673s
11. Dumbrell/Canto Rod Nash/FPR Ford 2m08.2443s (Qual one)
12. Davison/Brabham Stone Brothers Ford 2m08.2887s (Qual one)
13. Holdsworth/Ritter Garry Rogers Holden 2m08.0942s (Qual one)
14. Caruso/Marshall Garry Rogers Holden 2m08.4464s (Qual one)
15. Slade/Gaunt Rosenberg/SBR Ford 2m08.4721s (Qual one)
16. Kelly/Kelly Kelly Holden 2m08.5250s (Qual one)
17. Moffat/Halliday Dick Johnson Ford 2m08.6631s (Qual one)
18. Bright/Jones Brad Jones Holden 2m08.6681s (Qual one)
19. Kelly/Russell Kelly Holden 2m08.7271s (Qual one)
20. Coulthard/Baird Walkinshaw Holden 2m08.7746s (Qual one)
21. Bargwanna/Price Brad Jones Holden 2m09.1155s (Qual one)
22. Luff/Pretty Dumbrell Holden 2m09.1503s (Qual one)
23. D'Alberto/Wood D'Alberto Ford 2m09.1948s (Qual one)
24. Johnson/Besnard Dick Johnson Ford 2m09.3076s (Qual one)
25. Ingall/Perkins Paul Morris Holden 2m09.3328s (Qual one)
26. Webb/Lyons Tekno Ford 2m09.4017s (Qual one)
27. Reindler/Wall Britek Holden 2m09.4020s (Qual one)
28. Fiore/Patrizi Triple F Ford 2m10.0191s (Qual one)
29. Denyer/Waters Kelly Holden 2m11.7371s (Qual one)