Carlos Munoz will start Sunday's Indy Lights race from pole position after a strong performance in qualifying at Long Beach.
The top spot cycled through several drivers over the course of the afternoon before Munoz made it his own with a 1m12.9374s effort; the first lap to break the 1m13s mark this weekend.
Points leader Jack Hawksworth rebounded from a heavy crash in Friday practice to go second-quickest for Schmidt Peterson, albeit with a time 0.395sec down on that set by Andretti driver Munoz.
Zach Veach and Peter Dempsey will share the second row, ahead of Gabby Chaves and Juan Pablo Garcia.
It was a tough afternoon for Sage Karam, who was forced to watch most of the session from pitlane after hitting the Turn 5 barriers before he had a chance to bank a lap.
The Schmidt team managed to get the car repaired and Karam returned to the track with three minutes on the clock, but did not have enough time to haul himself off the back of the grid.
Pos Driver Team Time Gap
1. Carlos Munoz Andretti 1m12.9374s
2. Jack Hawksworth Schmidt Peterson 1m13.3324s + 0.3950s
3. Zach Veach Andretti 1m13.3614s + 0.4240s
4. Peter Dempsey Belardi 1m13.3961s + 0.4587s
5. Gabby Chaves Schmidt Peterson 1m13.5298s + 0.5924s
6. Juan Pablo Garcia Moore 1m13.7280s + 0.7906s
7. Mikael Grenier Moore 1m13.8222s + 0.8848s
8. Jorge Goncalvez Belardi 1m14.4856s + 1.5482s
9. Matthew di Leo MDL/Dragffy 1m15.5059s + 2.5685s
10. Sage Karam Schmidt Peterson 1m15.9610s + 3.0236s