MotoGP boss Carmelo Ezpeleta says there will be no replacement for the Japanese Grand Prix at Twin Ring Motegi if local organisers decide it's not possible to race there.
The event, which was scheduled for this weekend, was moved to October in the wake of the devastating earthquake and tsunami that hit the country. The race, however, is still in doubt because of the difficult situation in Japan.
Ezpeleta said MotoGP will rely on the organizers' decision, but made it clear there will be no replacement if the event is canned.
"We wait for the decisions of the local promoters," Ezpeleta told Gazzetta dello Sport. "But, in any case, should they decide to give up the race for this year, there would be no substitution. A national championship race is scheduled there in July, which means that at that time the venue should be usable. By then we should be certain on what we'll do."
Ezpeleta also said that MotoGP will only travel to Japan if there are no fears about the radiation.
"I have full confidence in the Japanese and if they tell us the race can go ahead, then we'll be 1,000 percent sure we'll be safe. If the situation isn't clear, I'm certain they'll be the first at evaluating the situation appropriately."
Honda's vice president Shuhei Nakamoto said the damage caused to the track by the earthquake had been repaired and that riders had tested a bike without problems.
The IZOD IndyCar Series race at Motegi is scheduled for Sept. 18. IndyCar officials have declined to speculate on whether the race would be canceled, saying it was too early to draw any such conclusions.