MotoGP has confirmed that it will race on the Circuit of The Americas outside Austin for the first time in 2013.
The series will visit the Texas circuit on April 19-21, the second of two slots which had yet to be confirmed when a provisional calendar was revealed last month. There will as a result be three U.S. races next season, with COTA joining Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca on the MotoGP bill.
Carmelo Ezpeleta, CEO of MotoGP organizer Dorna, said the new event would further boost the series' stateside profile.
"We are excited to be working with Circuit of The Americas to expand our programming in the United States and bring our series to an exceptional new grand prix facility in Texas," he said. "We see tremendous opportunities to market MotoGP and grow its fan-base through this agreement and know Circuit of The Americas is the right promoter to help us achieve that goal."
Circuit president Steve Sexton echoed the sentiment, adding: "We're confident it will be a great addition to our programming and draw tens of thousands of people to Central Texas, creating yet another major event with significant economic impact for our region."
The COTA MotoGP event had first been announced in April of 2011, but had been in question following a dispute with former 500cc champion Kevin Schwantz, who filed a lawsuit against the Austin circuit last month claiming that it had committed fraud in trying to disregard an agreement him to promote an annual race from 2013-22. Dorna, however, said that Schwantz was never able to prove his claims by the deadline the organizing group set, leaving it with no alternative than to terminate talks.
The U.S. is currently represented on the MotoGP grid by Nicky Hayden, Ben Spies and Colin Edwards.
Hayden recently signed a one-year contract extension with Ducati, while Spies confirmed he will switch from Yamaha's works team to Ducati's new satellite operation next year. Edwards will meanwhile stay with CRT squad Forward Racing for 2013.